This document describes the steps required to interface OpenLM with the JetBrains Floating License Server (FLS) in order to monitor license usage and obtain license statistics.
Table of Contents:
To query JetBrains FLS the following components must be installed:
- OpenLM Server v4.7 or higher installed on a machine in your organization
- OpenLM Broker v4.10 or higher installed on the same machine as JetBrains FLS
The current monitoring capabilities available for the JetBrains FLS license manager through OpenLM Broker are as follows:
|Feature||Resolution||License totals||License usage||Denials Reporting||Borrowed License Reporting||Expiration Date Reporting||Multiple Server Redundancy|
Additionally, using the Broker component allows for buffered communication and the ability to remotely start / stop the license manager service.
Diagram of how OpenLM interfaces with the JetBrains FLS
OpenLM Broker queries JetBrains FLS locally. This is done through the JetBrains FLS HTTP port. Once FLS is queried by Broker, the data is sent to OpenLM Server for processing.
The JetBrains reporting token must be configured before Broker can read license usage data.
1. If you already have the token configured, once you run the autodetect function (see below), Broker reads the service-config.properties file and inserts it automatically in the configuration options.
2. If you haven’t configured your reporting token yet and will be configuring Broker manually, follow the steps in the JetBrains manual. Once finished, make sure to copy or write the token down as you will need to edit the data_inquiry command later on.
Automatic OpenLM Broker configuration
To automatically configure OpenLM Broker with JetBrains FLS, click Detect in the bottom right corner of the Broker configuration tool window:
If the JetBrains FLS service or process is started, Broker will detect and configure most settings automatically.
Click Apply to commit the changes then Restart Broker.
It is recommended to manually check that the automatic configuration is working by going to Commands → data_query and clicking Execute.
Manual OpenLM Broker configuration
If auto-detect did not work, you can also add and configure the license manager manually. To do so:
- Click Add Port.
- Enter the JetBrains FLS port number (default: 8080).
- Select JetBrains from the “License Manager Type” drop-down menu. Click Apply.
- Select Commands. In the “Update path for commands” field enter or browse to the root folder where JetBrains FLS is installed. Click Update then Apply.
- Select the data_inquiry node. Edit and replace the <TOKEN> placeholders with the token that you configured in step 3.1 of this document (e.g. http://SILV-PC:8080/licenses-report.json?token=283xxs8zum;http://SILV-PC:8080/tickets-report.json?token=283xxs8zum). Click Execute to verify the command, then click Apply.
- Select “Vendor Name to Be Filled” under Vendors. Enter JetBrains in the “Vendor Name” field then click Apply.
- Click Apply.
- Click Restart Broker.
- Follow the steps in section 4 (“OpenLM Server configuration”), below.
Automatic OpenLM Server configuration through EasyAdmin
If you have followed the steps in the section above, OpenLM Broker should now be transmitting data to OpenLM Server. The final step is to approve the configuration in EasyAdmin:
- Open the EasyAdmin interface either by accessing http://<OpenLM Server IP>:7019/EasyAdmin2/ in your browser or through Windows Start → OpenLM → OpenLM EasyAdmin User Interface
- In the License Servers window, hover over the red row that contains the details of the newly added JetBrains FLS server entry and click Approve.
At this point, the JetBrains FLS has been automatically added to OpenLM Server and configuration is complete.
Manual OpenLM Server configuration
If automatic configuration has failed, you can manually configure OpenLM Server to connect to the OpenLM Broker installation located on the JetBrains FLS machine. This is done with the help of the OpenLM Server configuration tool (Windows Start → OpenLM → OpenLM Server)
The hostname and port settings must match those that have been configured for OpenLM Broker.
Adding a JetBrains FLS server
- Select the License Servers tab.
- Click Add.
- From the Type drop-down menu, select OpenLM Generic.
- Insert a description in the Description text box (e.g. “JetBrains FLS”)
- Set the Time Zone to where the License Server physically resides.
- Enter the Hostname and Port number of the machine where the JetBrains FLS is installed. The JetBrains FLS LM default port is 8080.
- Is Triad Configuration box: unchecked.
- Use Broker box: checked.
- Click Apply and close the OpenLM Server configuration tool.
OpenLM Server is now configured to monitor the incoming data from OpenLM Broker.
To check if the JetBrains FLS license manager is being monitored correctly:
- Open the EasyAdmin web application (access http://<OpenLM Server hostname>/EasyAdmin2/index.html in your browser)
- Click EasyAdmin Start → Widgets → License Servers. Verify that the configured license manager(s) appears in the server list. A green circle node indicates an active connection to the license server.
Please note that sometimes it may take up to 3 minutes for the status indicator to change if this is a new connection.