Sparx is one of the many license managers supported by OpenLM. In this step-by-step guide we will explore how to configure OpenLM to interface with the Sparx License Manager in order to monitor license usage and obtain license statistics.
Table of Contents:
Diagram of how OpenLM Broker interfaces with the Sparx License Manager and the OpenLM Server
- OpenLM Broker v4.6 installed and configured on the Sparx license manager machine.
- OpenLM Server v4.6 installed and configured on a network computer.
1. Download and install the latest OpenLM Broker version. Follow the Broker configuration guide for step-by-step instructions.
2. Select the hostname node (e.g. L312MD) and then click on Add Port.
3. Enter the Sparx server port number (default: 7770) and select the License Manager Type as Sparx from the drop-down menu.
4. Click Apply.
5. Under the newly created node, right-click Log Files → Add Log File.
6. Configure the Log File Definition screen as follows:
Type – SSKS Log
Name (Descriptive) – a name to help you identify the purpose of the log
Path – click on the […] button and navigate to the logs folder where your installation of Sparx is located. The required file is named ssksLog.log
Vendor – select the Vendor that you have defined in the Vendors node (by default: “Vendor Name to Be Filled”)
7. Click Apply to save the changes.
8. Click Restart Broker, wait a couple of seconds then finally click OK on the “Service started successfully” dialog pop-up.
9. Open the EasyAdmin interface either by accessing http://<Server IP>:7019 in your browser or through the Start Menu → OpenLM → OpenLM EasyAdmin User Interface shortcut)
10. In the License Servers window, click “Approve” on the Sparx entry that has been added automatically.
Although it is possible to manually add the Sparx license manager in the OpenLM Server Configuration tool, we recommend letting EasyAdmin handle this process automatically once you have approved the license manager in the License Servers window (step 10 above). The following instructions are provided mainly for reference purposes in case the automatic configuration process fails.
1. Open the OpenLM Server configuration tool (Start Menu → OpenLM → OpenLM Server)
2. Click Add.
3. Configure the server screen as follows:
Enabled – checked
Type – OpenLM Generic
Description – a name to identify the Sparx server
Time Zone – the time zone where the Sparx server is located
Sample Rate – leave default (60 seconds)
Is Triad Configuration – unchecked
Hostname – the Sparx LM hostname or IP
Port – the Sparx LM communication port (default: 7770)
Use Broker – checked
4. Click Apply to save the configuration.
To see if the Sparx License Manager is being monitored correctly:
1. Open the EasyAdmin web application either by going to the address of your EasyAdmin Server (i.e. http://localhost:7019/EasyAdmin2/) or by accessing the shortcut in the Windows Start Menu → OpenLM → OpenLM EasyAdmin User Interface
2. Click EasyAdmin Start → Widgets→ License Servers. The License Servers window appears. Verify that the configured license manager appears on the list. A green circle node indicates an active connection to a license server.
- License denials are currently not monitored