ESPRIT is one of the many license managers supported by OpenLM. In this step-by-step guide we will explore how to configure OpenLM to interface with the DPTC ESPRIT License Manager in order to monitor license usage and obtain license statistics.
Table of Contents:
Diagram of how OpenLM Broker interfaces with ESPRIT License Manager and the OpenLM Server
- OpenLM Broker v4.10 or later installed and configured on the ESPRIT license manager machine.
- OpenLM Server v4.6 or later installed and configured on a network computer.
In previous versions, Broker used only the Activation ID found in the ESPRIT log file to link it to a feature. Because this Activation ID could vary for the same feature at different times, it is no longer used. Beginning with v4.10, Broker requires users to configure mapping details which are found in the ESPRIT license printout file:
1. Launch the DP Technology Server Security Manager
2. On the left panel, locate the license(s) under the LocalHost node (e.g. E1009703_872223), right click → Print.
3. Select either “Microsoft Print to PDF” or “Generic / Text Only Printer” (recommended, see section 1.2 below) and choose a path to save the file.
4. (optional) If you used “Microsoft Print to PDF”, open the created PDF file and copy all contents into a regular *.txt file and save it. Beginning of line formatting (spaces) can be ignored.
5. Repeat steps 1-4 for each license that is present.
A sample license printout file looks like this:
********** E1009703_872223 ********** Company Name: WAYNE ENTERPRISES, INC Address1: 123 BAT RD Address2: City: GOTHAM CITY State/Region: NY Country: US Postal Code: 102109 Customer Code: wayneent General Name: 2_Axis_Lathe(1) Product: ESPRIT 20xx Series Serial Number: E1009703 Activation Id: 872223 Status: eLicenseInUse Client Id: bwayne@TLC-2ZQABC2 License Details Lock Code: S5580101 Expiration Date: N/A SMC Expiration Date: Saturday, October 31, 2020 Borrowable: True Lease Expiration Date: N/A License Type: eLicenseTypeNormal Lock Device: eLockDpFloat OEM: DP Technology Miscellaneous File Path: C:\ProgramData\D.P.Technology\Security\Licenses\2_Axis_Lathe(1).dptlic Comments: Features 1-Base License 2-Editor 3-DNC 10-Surface Modeler 11-SolidTurn Traditional 21-Post Processor 22-DWG / DXF 23-IGES 24-STEP 25-VDA-FS 27-Solid Modeler 29-VBA 30-Machine Simulation 31-STL 36-Cutting Tool KB 38-Parasolid SE SW 3DM
Obtaining the ESPRIT license printout file is done by using the “Print” function. Having a “Generic / Text Only Printer” avoids an extra step and the need to use a PDF viewer to read the file as the output is saved to a text file directly. Here is how to install it:
1. In the Windows Search bar, type “add printer”.
2. Select the result that says “Add printer or scanner” under System settings.
3. In the Settings / Printers & Scanners window, click “Add a printer or scanner”.
4. Wait for 5 – 10 seconds until the “The printer that I want isn’t listed” link appears. Click on it.
5. Select the “Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings” radio button and click Next.
6. Click “Use an existing port:” and select “FILE: (Print to File)” from the drop down menu.
7. Select “Generic” as the Manufacturer and the “Generic / Text Only” driver. Click Next.
8. “Use the driver that is currently installed (recommended)” and click Next.
9. Give the printer a name or leave as-is then click Next.
10. Select “Do not share this printer” and click Next.
11. Click Finish to close the wizard.
You should now have a virtual text-only printer installed. Whenever you select this printer as the device to print from, the action will open a “Save Print Output As” dialog window where you will have to specify a file. You can save it with a *.prn extension or select “All Files” from the Save as type menu and specify any other extension (e.g. *.txt).
1. Download and install the latest OpenLM Broker version. Follow the Broker configuration guide for step-by-step instructions.
2. Select the hostname node (e.g. L312MD) and then click on Add Port.
3. Enter any port number and select the License Manager Type as ESPRIT from the drop-down menu.
4. Click Advanced.
5. Check “Set Path Manually”.
6. Click “Add” and select the license printout file described in section “1.1. Print out the license mapping details” of this document. Repeat this for each license that was printed and will be monitored.
7. Click Apply.
8. Under the newly created node, right-click Log Files → Add Log File.
9. Configure the Log File Definition screen as follows:
Type – ESPRIT Server Usage
Name (Descriptive) – a name to help you identify the purpose of the log
Path – click on the […] button and navigate to the logs folder where your installation of ESPRIT is located. The required file is named DptSecLogServerUsage.txt
Vendor – select the Vendor that you have defined in the Vendors node (by default: “Vendor Name to Be Filled”, can be changed)
10. Click Apply to save the changes.
11. Click Restart Broker, wait a couple of seconds then finally click OK on the “Service started successfully” pop-up window.
12. Open the EasyAdmin interface either by accessing http://<Server IP>:7019 in your browser or through the Start Menu → OpenLM → OpenLM EasyAdmin User Interface shortcut)
13. In the License Servers window, click “Approve” on the ESPRIT LM entry that has been added automatically.
Although it is possible to manually add the ESPRIT license manager in the OpenLM Server Configuration tool, we recommend letting EasyAdmin handle the entire process automatically once you have approved the license manager in the License Servers window (step 10 above). The following instructions are provided mainly for reference purposes in case the automatic configuration process fails.
1. Open the OpenLM Server configuration tool (Start Menu → OpenLM → OpenLM Server)
2. Click Add.
3. Configure the server screen as follows:
Enabled – checked
Type – OpenLM Generic
Description – a name to identify the ESPRIT server
Time Zone – the time zone where the ESPRIT server is located
Sample Rate – leave default (60 seconds)
Is Triad Configuration – unchecked
Hostname – the ESPRIT LM hostname or IP
Port – the ESPRIT LM communication port
Use Broker – checked
4. Click Apply to save the configuration.
To see if the ESPRIT License Manager is being monitored correctly:
1. Open the EasyAdmin web application either by going to the address of your EasyAdmin Server (i.e. http://localhost:7019/EasyAdmin2/) or by accessing the shortcut in the Windows Start Menu → OpenLM → OpenLM EasyAdmin User Interface
2. Click EasyAdmin Start → Widgets→ License Servers. The License Servers window appears. Verify that the configured license manager appears on the list. A green circle node indicates an active connection to a license server.
- License denials are not currently monitored
- The quantity of licenses cannot currently be read by the Broker so it displayed as “Unlimited”