OpenLM supports license monitoring of a wide, and ever growing variety of license managers.
This application note elaborates the steps required to configure OpenLM to interface the Licman license manager, to monitor license usage and obtain license statistics.
The Licman license server should be queried locally, by the OpenLM Broker. The query response will consequently be propagated to the OpenLM Server, for monitoring and reporting purposes. Hence, the OpenLM settings require installing the OpenLM Broker on the same machine as the Licman license server, and installing the OpenLM Server on any Windows based machine on the network.
It is recommended to consult the OpenLM system requirements page prior to installation.
OpenLM Server configuration:
In order to enable the OpenLM Server to access the Licman license server, follow these steps:
2. Open the OpenLM Server configuration tool.
3. Select the “License Servers” tab, and click the ‘Add‘ button.
4. Select the Licman type from the “Type” dropdown list.
5. Type in a meaningful description in the “Description” text box (e.g.”My Licman License Server”).
6. Type in the appropriate “Hostname” (e.g. my_licman_server).
7. Type in a Port number (e.g. 11111). Note that Licman does not require a specific port, however the OpenLM Server configuration tool does.
8. Is Triad Configuration: OpenLM supports multiple server redundancy configurations for several types of license servers (e.g. FlexLM, DSLS, IBM LUM). At the time of writing this article, OpenLM does not yet support multiple server redundancy for Licman. Keep this box unchecked.
9. Select the Licman license server’s Time Zone (e.g. Pacific time)
10. OpenLM Server queries license manager check box should be unchecked:
- Checked (Default): The OpenLM Server actively queries the license manager.
- Unchecked: Usage information is obtained by the OpenLM Broker installation on the License manager machine
11. Click “Apply”, and the consecutive “Restart now” button.
OpenLM Broker configuration
1. Download and install the latest OpenLM Broker version. Follow the installation and configuration instructions on the OpenLM Broker Application Note:
- OpenLM Broker installation Guide: Quick Reference – AN4004a or
- OpenLM Broker Installation Guide: Comprehensive – AN4004b
2. Configure the OpenLM Broker to monitor the Licman license server (e.g. my_licman_server), and the license manager’s port (e.g. 11111).
These configurations must exactly match those of the OpenLM Server configuration tool (see above).
3. Set the ‘status’ and “data_inquiry” nodes’ text boxes to contain the full path to the licman20_appl file on the Licman license server machine, as depicted above.
4. Click the ‘Apply’ button, and then the “Restart Broker” button.
That’s it !
The OpenLM Broker should be ready to query your Licman license manager locally, and propagate the information to the OpenLM Server.
Verify the Licman configuration on the EasyAdmin web application
Check to see if the Licman License Server is monitored properly by the OpenLM Server:
- Open the EasyAdmin web application.
- Click EasyAdmin Start → Widgets→ License Servers. The License Servers window appears.
- Verify that the configured Licman license manager appears on the list. A green circle node indicates an active connection to the Licman license server.