OpenLM supports license monitoring of a wide, and ever growing variety of license managers.
This application note elaborates the steps required to configure OpenLM to interface the Reprise License Manager (RLM), to monitor license usage and obtain license statistics.
There are two options to query the RLM License Server:
- the first option is to remotely query the license server from the OpenLM Server.
- the second option is to install the the OpenLM Broker, query the License Server locally, and propagate the information back to the OpenLM Server.
Option One: OpenLM Direct Server method
OpenLM Server configuration:
In order to enable OpenLM to access RLM license server, follow these steps:
- After installing the OpenLM Server, Click the Windows Start → “All Programs” → OpenLM → “Configure OpenLM Server-Start here”. The OpenLM Server configuration tool opens.
- Select the LM Tools tab, located on the left side.
- Select the RLM tab.
- Copy rlmutil.exe to “C:\Program Files\OpenLM\OpenLM Server\LM” (32bit) or “C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenLM\OpenLM Server\LM” (64bit).
- Copy the full path of the executable file, “C:\Program Files\OpenLM\OpenLM Server\LM\rlmutil.exe” in the RLM executable file text box.
- Click Apply.
Introducing a new RLM server:
After configuring the OpenLM configuration tool to work with RLM as described above, introduce a new RLM server under the License Servers tab:
- Select the License Servers tab.
- Click Add.
- From the Type drop-down menu, select RLM.
- Insert a description in the Description text box.
- Set the Time Zone to where the License Server physically resides.
- Submit an appropriate Hostname and Port numbers. The RLM default port is 5054 (It was 9000 prior to RLM version 6).
- Is Triad Configuration: OpenLM supports multiple server redundancy configurations for several types of license servers (e.g. FlexLM, DSLS, IBM LUM). At the time of writing this article, OpenLM does not yet support multiple server redundancy for Reprise RLM. Keep this box unchecked.
- OpenLM Server queries license manager check box:
- Checked (Default): The OpenLM Server actively queries the license manager. Keep this configuration when not employing the OpenLM Broker.
- Unchecked: Usage information is obtained solely by the OpenLM Broker installation on the License manager machine.
- Click Apply, and then consecutively the Restart now button. The RLM server is now ready to interface with OpenLM.
That’s it !
OpenLM Server should be ready to query your Reprise RLM license manager and present the information over the EasyAdmin web application.
Option Two: via the OpenLM Broker
The OpenLM Broker is an optional, though highly recommended component, that should be installed and configured on the RLM license manager machine. The OpenLM Broker queries the Reprise RLM license server locally, and propagates the data to the OpenLM Server. It facilitates robust, buffered communication with the OpenLM Server to overcome temporary network failures.
The OpenLM Broker also facilitates reading of Reprise RLM license files and log files, and presents the following benefits:
- 1-second resolution license usage reports
- license denials’ information
- Presentation of RLM license file content
OpenLM Server configuration
Follow the same steps for configuring the OpenLM Server as listed above, with the following exceptions:
1. Keep the OpenLM Server queries license manager box unchecked.
2. If a license file is accessible for reading on the Reprise RLM license server, check the “Read license file…” box to gain access to the information resident on that license file.
OpenLM Broker configuration
1. Download and install the latest OpenLM Broker version. Follow the installation and configuration instructions on the OpenLM Broker Application Note:
- OpenLM Broker installation Guide: Quick Reference – AN4004a or
- OpenLM Broker Installation Guide: Comprehensive – AN4004b
2. Configure the OpenLM Broker to monitor the RLM license server (e.g. my_reprise_rlm_license_server) on the license manager’s port (e.g. 5054).
These configurations must exactly match those of the OpenLM Server configuration tool (see above).
3. In order to obtain and present the information resident on RLM license files (e.g.: the ‘Share’ license consumption policy), OpenLM needs to read the RLM license file. In order to do so:
- Click the port node on the left pane
- Expand the blue ‘Advanced’ hyperlink
- Check the “Set path manually” box
- Fill in the correct file name and full path in the text box
- Check the “Watch license file” box
- Click ‘Apply’ and “Restart Broker”
See the image above for clarification.
4. In order to obtain license denial information and 1-second resolution usage reports, OpenLM needs to read the content of the Reprise RLM log file. In order to do so:
- Click the ‘log’ node,
- Click the green ‘Add’ button above, and select “Log file” menu item.
- Select the ‘Other’ log file type
- Fill in the Reprise RLM log file name and full path
- Click ‘Apply’ and “Restart Broker”.
Verify the Reprise RLM configuration on the EasyAdmin web application
To check to see if the RLM License Server is working correctly, follow these two steps
- Open the EasyAdmin web application.
- Click EasyAdmin Start → Widgets→ License Servers. The License Servers window appears. Verify that the configured license managers appear on the list. A green circle node indicates an active connection to a license server.