This document describes how to manually import users from Active Directory into OpenLM. Although OpenLM provides full LDAP synchronization functionality with Active Directory, sometimes it may be necessary to import users manually, for example when you want to import only certain users. OpenLM’s EasyAdmin interface allows adding users manually using a predefined CSV file.
Importing users manually from Active Directory into OpenLM consists of three steps: exporting, editing the CSV to conform to the OpenLM format and finally importing.
Exporting Active Directory users:
- Open the “Active Directory Users and Computers” tool (either press Windows + R, type dsa.msc then press Enter OR click the taskbar search button and type “Active Directory Users and Computers”)
- On the left-panel, expand your domain name and select the Users folder.
- Click on the “Filter” icon to define filtering options.
- Select “Show only the following types of objects” → mark the “Users” checkbox then click OK.
- Before we can export the list, we have to add additional columns as required by OpenLM’s template. On the menu, click View → Add/Remove Columns…
- Add the following columns, in order (see image below): User Logon Name, First Name, Last Name, Department, Name, Job Title, Business Phone, Office, Description, E-mail Address. You may need to click Move Up/Down to position the columns correctly. Click OK when finished.
- Click on the Export icon. Tip: if you want to export only certain users and not the whole list, hold down the Ctrl key while clicking the user rows you need before clicking on Export.
- Browse to the location where you want to save your file. Make sure that you select “Unicode Text (Comma Delimited) (*.csv)” from the “Save as Type” dropdown menu. If you want to export only the users you have selected, check the “Save Only Selected Rows” box. Click “Save”.
Editing the CSV file
With the newly exported CSV file, now it’s time to edit so that it matches the OpenLM template. For this you will need any basic spreadsheet software that can open CSV files. We recommend Google Docs as it’s free.
- Open the exported CSV file in your spreadsheet software of choice.
- You will need to edit the following column headers so that they match the headers of the OpenLM template:
User Logon Name => Username
Name => Display Name
Job Title => Title
Business Phone => Phone
E-mail Address => Email
- In addition to this, you will need to add the following additional column headers at the end of the file, in order: Enabled, Groups, Default Group, Projects, Default Project.
- The Enabled column is required as it indicates the state of the user. It can have only two values: TRUE, when the user account is enabled and FALSE when disabled.
- Save the file as CSV.
Importing into OpenLM
The final step is to import the edited CSV file into OpenLM. To do so:
- Open the EasyAdmin User Interface. Windows Start → OpenLM → OpenLM EasyAdmin User Interface
- Once it’s open, go to EasyAdmin Start → Users & Groups → Users
- Click the import button and browse to where your formatted CSV file is.
- If everything went successfully, you should see a success dialog confirming the operation. Click Close.