OpenLM supports license monitoring of a wide, and ever growing variety of license managers.
This application note elaborates the steps required to configure OpenLM to interface with Sentinel RMS , to monitor license usage and obtain license statistics.
There are two options to query the Sentinel RMS License Server:
- the first option is to remotely query the license server from the OpenLM Server.
- the second option is to install the the OpenLM Broker, query the License Server locally, and propagate the information back to the OpenLM Server.
Option One: OpenLM Direct Server method
Enabling the OpenLM server to work with Sentinel RMS:
In order to configure OpenLM to work with RMS, follow these procedures:
Select the LM Tools tab, located on the left side.
Select the RMS tab.
Download the RMS files: lsmon.exe, lservnt.exe and lsapiw32.dll. These files are not included in the OpenLM installation package. For information on how to obtain these files – please contact OpenLM at email@example.com .
Copy the RMS executable files (lsmon.exe, lservnt.exe and lsapiw32.dll) into the OpenLM directory (C:\Program Files(x86)\OpenLM\OpenLM Server\LM) and type in the full path of the lsmon.exe file in the RMS executable file text box, “C:\Program Files(x86)\OpenLM\OpenLM Server\LM\lsmon.exe”
Introducing a new Sentinel RMS server
After configuring the OpenLM configuration tool to work with RMS as described above, the user may introduce a new RMS server under the License Servers tab:
1. Select the License Servers tab, and click Add.
2. From the Type drop-down menu, select RMS.
3. Type in a descriptive text in the Description text box.
4. Set the Time Zone to where the License Server physically resides.
5. Submit appropriate Hostname and Port numbers. The RMS default port is 5093.
6. “Is Triad Configuration”: OpenLM supports multiple server redundancy configurations for several types of license servers (e.g. FlexLM, DSLS, IBM LUM). At the time of writing this article, OpenLM does not yet support multiple server redundancy for Sentinel RMS. Keep this box unchecked.
7. “OpenLM Server queries license manager” check box:
- Checked (Default): The OpenLM Server actively queries the license manager. Keep this configuration when not employing the OpenLM Broker.
- Unchecked: Usage information is obtained solely by the OpenLM Broker installation on the License manager machine.
8. “Vendor Name”: The Sentinel RMS vendor name (free text, e.g.: rms_vendor_name).
9. Click Apply, and the consecutive “Restart now” button.
That’s it !
OpenLM Server should be ready to query your Sentinel RMS license server, and present the information over the EasyAdmin web application.
Option Two: via the OpenLM Broker
The OpenLM Broker is an optional, though highly recommended component, that should be installed and configured on the Sentinel RMS license server machine. The OpenLM Broker queries the Sentinel RMS license server locally, and propagates the data to the OpenLM Server. It facilitates robust, buffered communication with the OpenLM Server to overcome temporary network failures, and security issues.
OpenLM Server configuration
Follow the same steps for configuring the OpenLM Server as listed above, with the following exception: Keep the “OpenLM Server queries license manager” box unchecked.
OpenLM Broker configuration
1. Download and install the latest OpenLM Broker version. Follow the installation and configuration instructions on the OpenLM Broker Application Note:
- OpenLM Broker installation Guide: Quick Reference – AN4004a or
- OpenLM Broker Installation Guide: Comprehensive – AN4004b
2. Configure the OpenLM Broker to monitor the Sentinel RMS license server (e.g. my_sentinel_rms_license_server) on the license manager’s port (e.g. 5093). These configurations must exactly match those of the OpenLM Server configuration tool (see above).
3. In the ‘Status’ command line text box fill in the full path to the ‘lservnt.exe’ file.
4. In the ‘data_inguiry’ command line text box fill in the full path to the ‘lservnt.exe’ file.
5. Fill in the same vendor name as you have in the OpenLM Server configuration tool (free text, e.g.: rms_vendor_name).
Verify the Sentinel RMS configuration
Verify the OpenLM configuration to monitor the RMS license server via the EasyAdmin web application.
- Open the EasyAdmin web application.
- Click EasyAdmin Start → Widgets→ License Servers. The License Servers window appears.
- Verify that the configured license manager appear on the list. A green circle node indicates an active connection to a license server.