OpenLM supports license monitoring of a wide, and ever growing variety of license managers.
This application note elaborates the steps required to configure OpenLM to interface the Beta LM license manager, to monitor license usage and obtain license statistics.
There are two options to query the Beta-LM License Server:
- the first option is to remotely query the license server from the OpenLM Server.
- the second option is to install the the OpenLM Broker, query the License Server locally, and propagate the information back to the OpenLM Server.
Option One: OpenLM Direct Server method
OpenLM Server configuration:
In order to enable OpenLM to access the Beta-LM license server, follow these steps:
1. Copy the beta_lm_stat.exe file to the OpenLM LM folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenLM\OpenLM Server\LM\
2. Open the OpenLM Server Configuration Form. Select the LM Tools tab → BetaLM tab.
3. Type in the full path of the executable file, i.e.: “C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenLM\OpenLM Server\LM\beta_lm_stat.exe” in the “Beta LM executable file” text box.
4. Click the ‘Apply’ button.
Introducing a new Beta LM server:
1. Select the “License Servers” tab, and click the ‘Add‘ button.
2. Select the Beta-LM type from the “Type” dropdown list.
3. Type in a meaningful description in the “Description” text box.
4. Type in the appropriate “Hostname” and “Port” numbers (e.g. beta-lm and 6007 respectively).
5. Is Triad Configuration: OpenLM supports multiple server redundancy configurations for several types of license servers (e.g. FlexLM, DSLS, IBM LUM). At the time of writing this article, OpenLM does not yet support multiple server redundancy for Beta-LM. Keep this box unchecked.
6. Select the Beta-LM license server’s Time Zone
7. OpenLM Server queries license manager check box:
- Checked (Default): The OpenLM Server actively queries the license manager. Keep this configuration when not employing the OpenLM Broker.
- Unchecked: Usage information is obtained solely by the OpenLM Broker installation on the License manager machine.
8. Click “Apply”, and the consecutive “Restart now” button.
That’s it !
OpenLM Server should be ready to query your Beta-LM license manager and present the information over the EasyAdmin web application.
Option Two: via the OpenLM Broker
The OpenLM Broker is an optional, though highly recommended component, that should be installed and configured on the Beta-LM license manager machine. The OpenLM Broker queries the Beta-LM license server locally, and propagates the data to the OpenLM Server. It facilitates robust, buffered communication with the OpenLM Server to overcome temporary network failures.
OpenLM Server configuration
Follow the same steps for configuring the OpenLM Server as listed above, but keep the OpenLM Server queries license manager box unchecked.
OpenLM Broker configuration
1. Download and install the latest OpenLM Broker version. Follow the installation and configuration instructions on the OpenLM Broker Application Note:
- OpenLM Broker installation Guide: Quick Reference – AN4004a or
- OpenLM Broker Installation Guide: Comprehensive – AN4004b
2. Configure the OpenLM Broker to monitor the Beta-LM license server (e.g. beta-lm) on the license manager’s port (e.g. 6007).
These configurations must exactly match those of the OpenLM Server configuration tool (see above).
The ‘status’ and “data_inquiry” nodes should contain the full path to the beta_lm_stat.exe file, as depicted below:
Verify the Beta-LM configuration on the EasyAdmin web application
Check to see if the Beta-LM License Server is monitored properly by the OpenLM Server:
- Open the EasyAdmin web application.
- Click EasyAdmin Start → Widgets→ License Servers. The License Servers window appears. Verify that the configured license managers appear on the list. A green circle node indicates an active connection to a license server.