Changes in OpenLM v2.0
OpenLM version 2.0 has integrated profound improvements, enhancements and bug fixes to its predecessor – OpenLM 1.8. These changes are relevant to the OpenLM server and Database, as well as the OpenLM Broker and Agent.
This document describes the upgrade of OpenLM installations that use external database, i.e.: MS-SQL or MySQL, from version 1.8 to 2.0. For installations that use the embedded Firebird database see Application Note (3101a): Upgrade guide of OpenLM v1.8 to v2.0 Embedded Database.
1. Before upgrading please make sure your system is compliant with the OpenLM System requirements.
2. If the OpenLM server (of any version) has been already installed on the machine for a period longer than the Evaluation period, A license file will be required . Please make sure you have one before proceeding with the upgrade process.
In order to obtain a valid OpenLM license file, please contact OpenLM support, and provide your MAC address and Hostname (case sensitive).
Download the OpenLM v2.0 System components
The OpenLM System components are available for download on the OpenLM site.
After filling in your name and email, you will be directed to the download section. Select the and download the latest OpenLM server version.
Full Upgrade procedure with preliminary check for sites that use an external database
1. Backup the Database
Note that the backup stage is mandatory since the database upgrade process can be sensitive to hardware and software problems. Starting the upgrade process without backing up the database file may compromise the data.
Stop the “OpenLM Server” Windows Service, and back up the OpenLM Database.
2. Upgrade the Database
Download the respective database upgrade script from the OpenLM Downloads menu.(for MS-SQL: OpenLM_SQLServer_2.*_Upgrade.SQL).
Stop the OpenLM Server service.
Run the upgrade script(s) in the External DB administration tool.
Note: Upgrading from some OpenLM database versions to the latest OpenLM v2 will require two scripts. Other OpenLM database versions will only require running a single script. Please subscribe to the OpenLM blog for updates. In case of doubt – contact support at openlm.com for clarifications.
Make sure that no error messages are reported.
Now upgrade the production system.
Note that filters in the EasyAdmin platform created in v1.8 will not be transferred to v2.0.
3. Upgrade the Production System
- Remember to stop the OpenLM Server and backup the OpenLM database prior to upgrade.
- In order to upgrade v1.8 production system to OpenLM V2.0, install the new 2.0 package over the production server. It will update the software while preserving the settings. The OpenLM service will not be available during the upgrade process.
Upgrading of earlier versions of OpenLM (e.g. 1.7) to 2.0 requires a two-step procedure; OpenLM will first need to be upgraded to 1.8, and then to 2.0. Please refer to this document:
- Run the upgrade script(s) in the External DB administration tool.
- Note: Upgrading from some OpenLM database versions to the latest OpenLM v2 will require two scripts. Other OpenLM database versions will only require running a single script. Please subscribe to the OpenLM blog for updates. In case of doubt – contact support at openlm.com for clarifications.
4. Update the OpenLM Agent
OpenLM Agent versions prior to 2.0 are not compatible with OpenLM Server 2.0. The OpenLM Agent must be upgraded on all workstations. OpenLM users can download and install the OpenLM Agent on every workstation using floating licenses.
OpenLM supports various distribution methods including start up scripts and network management systems. Check this Application note for more information regarding the OpenLM Agent silent install.
5. Install the OpenLM Broker on any License Server managed by OpenLM
The OpenLM Broker is an optional component that highly enhances the capabilities of the OpenLM Software.
Download the latest OpenLM Broker version from the OpenLM site’s downloads section, and install it on each license server machine. On Windows’ machines, the OpenLM Broker will automatically detect the license managers that exist on that machine, and will just need to be configured to interface the OpenLM server.
6. OpenLM Alerts
Prior to version 2.0, OpenLM Alerts were implemented as a separate module. In version 2.0 the OpenLM alerts have been integrated into the OpenLM EasyAdmin web application. Alerts settings will not be saved during 1.8 to 2.0 upgrades.
1. After migrating the v1.8 OpenLM server to v2.0, the EasyAdmin web application may become non-responsive. In that case, it is recommended to clear the web browser’s cache.
2. The OpenLM Software is delivered with LightTPD: a built-in web server that starts as a service. Users can continue and use the built-in web server or use a standard web server such as Microsoft IIS 7. Upgrading the OpenLM Server from version 1.8 to 2.0 does not preserve IIS configuration. It is up to the System Administrator to reconfigure the IIS web server to work with OpenLM EasyAdmin.
If you encounter any issue during the upgrade process, or require technical assistance please refer to our support team, and we will be glad to help: