What is LICPATH.lic
The Autodesk LICPATH.lic file is created on client workstations during an Autodesk network installation. This file specifies the license server and lmgrd port number from which the client will try to obtain a license.
According to Autodesk’s knowledge center, the format of that file should be:
SERVER server_name 000000000000
According to our experience, this format does not always work:
- The actual MAC address needs to be specified,
- The lmgrd port numbers is sometimes required, and
- server_name could be either the name or IP of the license server.
So, a working format on our client machine is:
SERVER My_Autodesk_Server_IP My_Autodesk_Server_MAC My_lmgrd_Port_Number
SERVER server2012_autodesk 005056012345 27000
The LICPATH.lic file is located adjacent the Autodesk run file, one per licensed feature. I.e. there may be several such files located on the client machine in folders such as:
- C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Autodesk AutoCAD Map 3D 2014
- C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD Map 3D 2013
- C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD Map 3D 2012
As listed on this document, there are a few parameters that take precedence over the LICPATH.lic file. These are the
- ADSKFLEX_LICENSE_FILE environment variable
- ADSKFLEX_LICENSE_FILE registry key, and
- LM_LICENSE_FILE variable
In order to make sure the LICPATH.lic file takes effect, the parameters above need to be deleted or nullified.