Configuring OpenLM EasyAdmin with Microsoft IIS 10 – KB800
OpenLM’s EasyAdmin interface is delivered via LightHTTPD: a built-in web server that starts as a service. If users would like to configure EasyAdmin with Microsoft IIS 10 web server instead, this guide will explain how to do so.
Note: If you’re looking to configure IIS on Windows Server 2016, please follow this guide instead.
This guide consists of two parts: installing IIS and configuring IIS 10 to work with EasyAdmin.
Check to see if IIS is not already installed. Open the localhost URL in your browser where the Server is installed (by default: http://localhost). If you’re not seeing the default IIS “Welcome” screen as below, then it means that you have to install it.
Installing IIS 10
1. Press the Windows + R keys to bring up a Run box. Type in “appwiz.cpl” and press enter to open the “Programs and Features” window
2. On the left-hand side, you should see the option to “Turn Windows Features on or off”. Click it.
3. On the Windows Features dialog, check the “Internet Information Services” node. This will select the basic components for the server to run. You will also need to install the CGI extension by expanding “Worldwide Web Services” → “Application Development features” → check “CGI” feature.
3b. If you’re planning to use EasyAdmin with Windows Authentication as described in this guide, you will also need to expand Internet Information Services → World Wide Web Services → Security → check “Windows Authentication”.
4. Click “OK” and wait for Windows to install the necessary components.
5. Click OK and close any remaining windows.
Enabling URL Rewrite
1. Get the URL rewrite extension from Microsoft’s website.
2. You will get a “urlrewrite2.exe” file. Double-click on it to run it. The installer should start:
3. Once the installer has loaded, click on Install. Accept the license screen and click “Next” and wait for the installer to finish. Then click “Exit” on the final screen.
Configuring EasyAdmin with Microsoft IIS 10
1. Open the IIS manager either by typing “iis” in the Windows 10 search bar,
Or by opening the Control Panel → “System And Security” and then clicking on “Administrative Tools”. You should see “Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager” in this list. Double-click on it.
2. Once the IIS manager is open, expand the top server and “Sites” node until you see the “Default Web Site”. Right-click on it and select “Add Virtual Directory…”.
3. Type in “EasyAdmin2” in the alias field.
For the “Physical Path”, this should point to where EasyAdmin is installed (typically this is “C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenLM\OpenLM Server\WebApps\EasyAdmin2”). Click OK.
4. Right-click on the newly created “EasyAdmin2” site and select “Convert to Application”.
The “Add Application” window will open. Leave everything as-is and just click OK.
5. Now we will need to enable the CGI module for EasyAdmin. With the EasyAdmin2 node still selected, double-click on the “Handler Mappings” icon.
6. On the right-hand side of the screen, you should see “Add Module Mapping…” option. Click on it.
Fill in the following details:
Request Path: *.php
Module: select “FastCgiModule”
Executable: type in the path where your php-cgi.exe module is located (with quotation marks). The typical path is “C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenLM\OpenLM Server\WebServer\PHP\php-cgi.exe”. If you’re browsing for another location, make sure to select “(*.exe)” in the lower right corner of the “Open” window so you can see executable files
Name: type in “FastCgi”
7. Before closing this window, click on “Request Restrictions…” . Select the “File or Folder” option in the Mapping tab. Click OK.
Now you can finally click OK. You should see a dialog window asking to confirm. Click Yes.
8. Select the “CGI-exe” entry which shows as Disabled and click on “Edit Feature Permissions” in the right-side panel.
Check the “Execute” box and click OK.
9. The final step is to restart the server. Select the primary server node (with your domain/hostname/userid). On the right-hand side you should see the option to “Restart”.
Deleting Old Log Files
It is recommended that the old “openlm_proxy.log” file be deleted.
Typically it is located in the “C:\ProgramData\OpenLM\” folder or it can be accessed by pressing Windows + R and typing %PROGRAMDATA%/OpenLM/, then clicking OK.
Setting Proper Permissions for IIS
Now you will need to set proper read/write/execute permissions for the IIS_IUSRS group account on the %ProgramData%/OpenLM/ folder.
1. Right-click on the OpenLM folder found in ProgramData (Type Windows + R, then %ProgramData% and click OK to open it). Click “Properties”.
2. Select the “Security” tab. Then click on “Edit…”. The “Permissions for OpenLM” window should open. Click on the “Add…” button to add a new user.
3. Fill in the object name as “IIS_IUSRS”. All other options should be as in the screenshot below. Location should point to the local machine you’re configuring this on, so if you’re not seeing your machine name click on “Locations” and select it, then click OK.
4. On the “Permissions for OpenLM” window, select the newly created “IIS_IUSRS” user and check the read/write/execute options as below. Click Apply then OK.
Click OK to close the Folder Properties window.
Verifying EasyAdmin functionality
If you have successfully completed the steps above, you should now be able to use OpenLM’s EasyAdmin with Microsoft IIS 10 web server.
To verify that everything is working properly, open your web browser and access the following URL:
a. If you’re accessing EasyAdmin from the same machine that the Server is installed on: http://localhost/EasyAdmin2/index.html
b. If you’re accessing EasyAdmin from any other device on the same network: http://<Server IP or hostname>/EasyAdmin2/index.html
You should now be able to see the EasyAdmin interface in your browser running through the IIS server on port 80 (by default).
Adding New MIME Types
Please note that for previous versions of Windows, this procedure was mandatory. This step can be skipped altogether for Windows 10 installations because EasyAdmin with Microsoft IIS 10 includes by default all of the required MIME types.
OpenLM Version 4.5 requires adding MIME types to support additional file extensions. To do so you need to:
1. Open the IIS manager. Select the “EasyAdmin2” virtual directory you have created. Double-click on the “MIME Types” icon
2. Once on the “MIME Types” screen, click on “Add…” on the right-side panel.
Add the following extensions. You will need to repeat this step for each extension you add.
File extension: woff
MIME type: application/font-woff
File extension: woff2
MIME type: application/font-woff2
File extension: json
MIME type: application/json
File extension: svg
MIME type: image/svg+xml
Configuring File Fetching for EasyAdmin With Microsoft IIS 10
Some EasyAdmin capabilities involve the OpenLM proprietary “File Fetching” mechanism. This includes EasyAdmin’s feature of exporting to CSV files and the fetching of License Server Options files, License files, logs and so on.
This mechanism requires defining a virtual directory that points to the physical directory where the CSV file will be downloaded. With the default LightHTTPD web service, these settings are already implemented. When using EasyAdmin with Microsoft IIS 10 this linkage needs to be added in the IIS manager.
To do this:
1. In EasyAdmin, go to Start → Administration → File Fetching
You should see a screen similar to the one below
The “OpenLM server download directory” is where the CSV files will be downloaded to. The default is “C:\ProgramData\OpenLM\Downloads”
The “File fetching URL” should point to a virtual directory, linked to the physical download directory. You must remove the “:7019” port number manually from the URL, so it should look like this
2. In the IIS manager, expand the top server node → ‘Sites’ node → right-click on “Default Web site” → click “Add virtual directory”. Fill in the text boxes as follows:
Physical path: where you want the downloads to be stored (typically this is “C:\ProgramData\OpenLM\Downloads\”)
With the new “openlm_downloads” virtual directory selected, double-click on the “MIME Types” icon, then click on “Add…” located at the top of the right-side panel.
Configure as follows:
File name extension: .*
MIME type: application/octet-stream
Click OK to add, then close the IIS manager.
This will enable download of exported CSV files from EasyAdmin as well as fetching of various License Server files onto the machine running EasyAdmin with Microsoft IIS 10.