This document describes the steps required to monitor the Hardlock License Manager with OpenLMin in order to monitor license usage and obtain license statistics.
Requirements for interfacing Hardlock License Manager #
To query the Hardlock License the following components must be installed:
- OpenLM Server v5 or higher installed on a machine in your organization
- OpenLM Broker v4.14 or higher installed on the same machine as the Hardlock
Hardlock monitoring capabilities and features #
The current monitoring capabilities available for Hardlock through OpenLM Broker are as follows:
OpenLM Broker configuration #
Diagram of how OpenLM interfaces with the Hardlock LicenseManager
The broker reads the Hardlock License Manager log file. Once read, the data is compiled and sent to OpenLM Server for processing.
- Click Add Port.
- Since Broker only reads the log file, enter any port number (e.g. 21723).
- Select Hardlock from the “License Manager Type” drop-down menu. Click Apply.
- Select “Vendor Name to Be Filled” under Vendors. Enter Hardlock in the “Vendor Name” field then click Apply.
- Select the Log Files node and click on Add Log File.
- Select the “log” node that has just been created. Click […] and browse to the path where the Hardlock License Manager *.log file is located.
- Click Apply.
- Click Restart Broker.
- Follow the steps in section 4 below.
Alternative – configuration via Broker WEB UI #
- Open any convenient web browser. In the address bar type in the following address: http://localhost:5090/;
- Click on the License Managers tab then Add License Manager:
3. A pop-up will open. From the drop-down list select the License Manager type and input the port (since Broker only reads the log file, enter any port number (e.g. 888). Click Add:
4. In the newly opened screen, click on the Vendors tab. Click on Add Vendor. Input the name then click Continue:
5. Click on the Log Files tab:
6. Click Add Log File, and a pop-up window will appear.
You can either input the path manually or browse it by clicking on the Magnifier Icon:
Once found, click on the log file to select it then click Open.
7. From the drop-down list, select the vendor – Hardlock.
8. Click Continue
File explorer pop up window
9. Click Save.
OpenLM Server configuration #
Automatic OpenLM Server configuration through EasyAdmin
If you have followed the steps in the section above, OpenLM Broker should now be transmitting data to OpenLM Server. The final step is to approve the configuration in EasyAdmin:
- Open the EasyAdmin interface either by accessing Windows Start → OpenLM → OpenLM EasyAdmin User Interface.
- In the License Servers window, double click on the row that contains the details of the newly added Hardlock License Manager server entry.
3. In the newly opened prompt, give a descriptive name to the added connection or leave the default one. Also, leave the default type “Hardlock”. Click Approve.
At this point, the Hardlock License Manager has been automatically added to OpenLM Server and configuration is complete. It will take a few moments until the data is parsed and available. The green circle will confirm the status:
Manual OpenLM Server configuration
If the automatic configuration has failed, you can manually configure OpenLM Server to connect to the OpenLM Broker installation located on the Hardlock License Manager machine.
The hostname and port settings must match those that have been configured for OpenLM Broker.
- Go to Start→Administration→ License Manager Servers.
- Click Add LM.
- From the Type drop-down menu, select OpenLM Hardlock.
- Insert a description in the Description text box (e.g. “Hardlock”)
- Set the Time Zone to where the License Server physically resides.
- Enter the Hostname and Port number of the machine where the Hardlock LM is installed.
- Is Triad Configuration box: unchecked.
- Use Broker box: checked.
- Click Save.
OpenLM Server is now configured to monitor the incoming data from OpenLM Broker.
How to verify your Hardlock License Manager configuration #
To check if the Hardlock License Manager server is being monitored correctly:
- Open the EasyAdmin web application in your browser.
- Click EasyAdmin Start → Widgets → License Servers. Verify that the configured license manager(s) appears in the server list. A green circle node indicates an active connection to the license server.
Please note that sometimes it may take up to 3 minutes for the status indicator to change if this is a new connection.