This document describes the steps required to interface the AEScripts with OpenLM Broker. The aim is to monitor license usage and obtain license statistics.
To query the AEScripts license manager the following components must be installed:
- OpenLM Server v126.96.36.199 or higher installed on a machine in your organization
- OpenLM Broker v4.11 or higher installed on the same machine as the AEScripts
The current monitoring capabilities available for AEScript through the OpenLM Broker are as follows:
|Borrowed License Reporting
|Expiration Date Reporting
|Multiple Server Redundancy
Additionally, using the Broker component allows for buffered communication and the ability to remotely start/stop the license manager service.
Diagram of how OpenLM interfaces with the AEScripts
The broker reads the AEScripts License Manager log file. Once read, the data is compiled and sent to the OpenLM Server for processing.
Please note that OpenLM Broker must already be installed and configured to report to OpenLM Server before proceeding further.
- Access your OpenLM Broker.
- Click Add Port.
- Enter the AEScripts LM port number. Although the port number is not used for capturing data, however, it must be defined as it is required by Server for Licensing purposes. The default port for AEScrips License Manager is 27100
- Select AEScripts from the “License Manager Type” drop-down menu. Click Apply.
- Click Commands. Browse to the root folder where the AEScripts log file is located. Click Apply.
- Select “Vendor Name to Be Filled” under Vendors. Enter Aescripts in the “Vendor Name”. field then click Apply.
- Click Restart Broker.
- Follow the steps in section 4 (“OpenLM Server configuration”), below.
- Access your Broker UI in the Chrome/Edge/Firefox e.g: http://localhost:5090/.
- Navigate to the License Managers tab → Add License Manager. A pop-up appears.
- From the drop-down list select LM type AEScripts and enter the Port number
- Click ADD.
- Commands tab options:
- Use the operating system start/stop commands toggle – 0N/OFF
ON-DEMAND: start/stop toggle.
- In the Executable path field input the actual path executable on the AEScripts license server.
- Switch to the Vendors tab. Set the name correctly.
- Switch to the Log Files tab. Click Add Log File. The ADD LOG FILE pop-up appears.
- Configure the Log File Definition screen as follows:
Type – AEScripts Log
Log name (Descriptive) – a name to help you identify the purpose of the log
Log Path – click on the […] button and navigate to the logs folder where your installation of AEScripts is located.
Vendor – select the Vendor that you have defined in the Vendors node (by default: “Vendor Name to Be Filled”).
- Encoding – windows-152
- Click CONTINUE.
- Click on SAVE.
Automatic OpenLM Server configuration through EasyAdmin
If you have followed the steps in the section above, OpenLM Broker should now be transmitting data to OpenLM Server. The final step is to approve the configuration in EasyAdmin:
- Open the EasyAdmin interface either by accessing http://<OpenLM Server IP>:5015/ in your browser or through Windows Start → OpenLM → OpenLM EasyAdmin User Interface
- In the License Servers window, hover over the red row that contains the details of the newly added OpenLM Generic (it is how AEScripts Licence Manager is reflected in the Easy Admin) Server entry and click Approve.
At this point, the AESCRipts has been automatically added to OpenLM Server and the configuration is complete.
If the automatic configuration has failed, you can manually configure OpenLM Server to connect to the OpenLM Broker installation located on the AEScripts machine. This is done manually via the OpenLM EasyAdmin User Interface.
The hostname and port settings must match those that have been configured for OpenLM Broker.
- Navigate to your EasyAdmin User Interface→Start→Administration→License Manager Servers.
- Click Add LM.
- Insert a description in the Description text box (e.g. “AEScripts”).
- From the Type drop-down menu, select OpenLM Generic.
- Set the Time Zone to where the license server physically resides.
- Enter the Hostname and Port number of the machine where the AEScripts is installed.
- Allow server fall back to denied license toggle: off.
- Use Broker box: checked.
- Switch to the Custom Fields tab.
- Input details for future reference:
B. Usage Scope (free text)
C. Description (free text)
- Click SAVE.
OpenLM Server is now configured to monitor the incoming data from OpenLM Broker.
To check if the AEScripts License Server is being monitored correctly:
- Open the EasyAdmin User Interface (access http://<OpenLM Server hostname>/EasyAdmin/index.html in your browser)
- Click EasyAdmin Start → Widgets → License Servers. Verify that the configured license manager(s) appears in the server list. A green circle node indicates an active connection to the license server.
Please note that sometimes it may take up to 3 minutes for the status indicator to change if this is a new connection.