This document describes the steps required to interface the AEScripts with OpenLM Broker. The aim is to monitor license usage and obtain license statistics.
1. Requirements #
To query the AEScripts license manager the following components must be installed:
- OpenLM Server v184.108.40.206 or higher installed on a machine in your organization
- OpenLM Broker v4.11 or higher installed on the same machine as the AEScripts
2. Monitoring capabilities and features #
The current monitoring capabilities available for AEScript through the OpenLM Broker are as follows:
|Feature||Resolution||License totals||License usage||Denials Reporting||Borrowed License Reporting||Expiration Date Reporting||Multiple Server Redundancy|
Additionally, using the Broker component allows for buffered communication and the ability to remotely start/stop the license manager service.
3. OpenLM Broker configuration #
Diagram of how OpenLM interfaces with the AEScripts
Broker reads the AEScripts License Manager log file. Once read, the data is compiled and sent to the OpenLM Server for processing.
Please note that OpenLM Broker must already be installed and configured to report to OpenLM Server before proceeding further.
- Click Add Port.
- Enter the AEScripts LM port number. Although the port number is not used for capturing data, however, it must be defined as it is required by Server for Licensing purposes. The default port for AEScrips License Manager is 27100
- Select AEScripts from the “License Manager Type” drop-down menu. Click Apply.
- Click Commands. Browse to the root folder where the AEScripts log file is located. Click Apply.
- Select “Vendor Name to Be Filled” under Vendors. Enter Aescripts in the “Vendor Name”. field then click Apply.
- Click Restart Broker.
- Follow the steps in section 4 (“OpenLM Server configuration”), below.
4. OpenLM Server configuration #
Automatic OpenLM Server configuration through EasyAdmin
If you have followed the steps in the section above, OpenLM Broker should now be transmitting data to OpenLM Server. The final step is to approve the configuration in EasyAdmin:
- Open the EasyAdmin interface either by accessing http://<OpenLM Server IP>:7019/EasyAdmin2/ in your browser or through Windows Start → OpenLM → OpenLM EasyAdmin User Interface
- In the License Servers window, hover over the red row that contains the details of the newly added OpenLM Generic (it is how AEScripts Licence Manager is reflected in the Easy Admin) Server entry and click Approve.
At this point, the AESCRipts has been automatically added to OpenLM Server and configuration is complete.
Manual OpenLM Server configuration
If the automatic configuration has failed, you can manually configure OpenLM Server to connect to the OpenLM Broker installation located on the AEScripts machine. This is done manually via the OpenLM Server configuration tool (Windows Start → OpenLM → OpenLM Server).
The hostname and port settings must match those that have been configured for OpenLM Broker.
Adding an AEScripts Server
- Select the License Servers tab.
- Click Add.
- From the Type drop-down menu, select OpenLM Generic.
- Insert a description in the Description text box (e.g. “AEScripts”)
- Set the Time Zone to where the license server physically resides.
- Enter the Hostname and Port number of the machine where the AEScripts is installed.
- Is Triad Configuration box: unchecked.
- Use Broker box: checked.
- Click Apply and close the OpenLM Server configuration tool.
OpenLM Server is now configured to monitor the incoming data from OpenLM Broker.
5. How to verify your AEScripts License Monitor configuration #
To check if the AEScripts License Server is being monitored correctly:
- Open the EasyAdmin web application (access http://<OpenLM Server hostname>/EasyAdmin2/index.html in your browser)
- Click EasyAdmin Start → Widgets → License Servers. Verify that the configured license manager(s) appears in the server list. A green circle node indicates an active connection to the license server.
Please note that sometimes it may take up to 3 minutes for the status indicator to change if this is a new connection.