This document describes the steps required to monitor the Siemens Polarion License Manager with OpenLM.
To query the Siemens Polarion License the following components must be installed:
- Either OpenLM Server v2x installed on a machine in your organization or a Cloud account (SLMC)
- OpenLM Broker v23.6 or higher installed on the same machine as the Siemens Polarion
Diagram of how OpenLM interfaces with the Siemens Polarion LicenseManager
Broker reads the Siemens Polarion License Manager log file. Once read, the data is compiled and sent to OpenLM Server for processing.
- Open any convenient web browser. In the address bar type in the following address: http://localhost:5090/ to access you OpenLM Broker instance.
- Click on the License Managers tab then Add License Manager:
- A pop-up will open. From the drop-down list select the License Manager type – Siemens Polarion and input the port (since Broker only reads the log file, enter any port number (e.g. 888). Click Add:
- In the newly opened screen, click on the Vendors tab. Click on Add Vendor. Input the name then click Continue:
- Click on the Log Files tab:
- Click Add Log File, a pop-up window will appear.
- You can either input the path manually or browse it by clicking on the Magnifier Icon:
- Once found, click on the log file to select it then click Open.
- From the drop-down list, select the vendor – Siemens Polarion.
- Click Save. A pop-up will appear declaring a successful configuration
Automatic OpenLM Server configuration through EasyAdmin
If you have followed the steps in the section above, OpenLM Broker should now be transmitting data to OpenLM Server. The final step is to approve the configuration in EasyAdmin:
- Open the EasyAdmin interface either by accessing Windows Start → OpenLM → OpenLM EasyAdmin User Interface
- In the License Servers window, double click on the “There is x server pending approval” and select it by double clicking on it.
3. In the newly opened prompt, give a descriptive name to the added connection or leave the default one. Also, leave the default type “OpenLM Generic. Select the LM time zone. Click Approve.
At this point, the Siemens Polarion License Manager has been automatically added to OpenLM Server and configuration is complete. It will take a few moments until the data is parsed and available. The green circle will confirm the status.
Manual OpenLM Server configuration
If the automatic configuration has failed, you can manually configure OpenLM Server to connect to the OpenLM Broker installation located on the Siemens Polarion License Manager machine.
The hostname and port settings must match those that have been configured for OpenLM Broker.
- Go to Start→Administration→ License Manager Servers.
- Click Add LM.
- From the Type drop-down menu, select OpenLM Generic.
- Insert a description in the Description text box (e.g. “Siemens Polarion”)
- Set the Time Zone to where the License Server physically resides.
- Enter the Hostname and Port number of the machine where the Siemens Polarion LM is installed.
- Allow server fall back to denied license toggle: off.
- Use Broker toggle: on.
- Click Save.
OpenLM Server is now configured to monitor the incoming data from OpenLM Broker.
To check if the Siemens Polarion License Manager server is being monitored correctly:
- Open the EasyAdmin User Interface in your browser.
- Click EasyAdmin Start → Widgets → License Servers. Verify that the configured license manager(s) appears in the server list. A green circle node indicates an active connection to the license server.
Please note that sometimes it may take up to 3 minutes for the status indicator to change if this is a new connection.