OpenLM Broker installation Guide: Quick Reference – KB4004a
The OpenLM Broker is an optional though highly recommended component. It needs to be installed on the License server, to provide accurate license statistics, and facilitates communication between the OpenLM Server and the License Manager. The image below is a schematic block diagram, clarifying the said constellation:
This document is a quick guide for basic installation and configuration of the OpenLM Broker. It does NOT include all the functions available on the Broker. For more comprehensive information, please refer to the OpenLM Broker Comprehensive installation Application note.
Why install the OpenLM Broker on the License server machine ?
- The OpenLM Broker is capable of reading local files, and propagating their information to the OpenLM Server. This includes License servers’ License file(s), Options files and various log files. At the time of writing this document, the supported formats include:
- FlexLM License server log files
- DSLS License server log files
- LM-X License server log files
- Reprise RLM License server log files
- FlexLM License files
- FlexLM Options files
- FlexLM – ArcGIS Audit log files
- Reprise RLM License files
- The OpenLM Broker facilitates management and automated editing of FlexLM Options files.
- It provides enhanced connectivity and data buffering between the License server and the OpenLM server machines.
- It provides license denial information for specific license manager types.
- It provides 1-second resolution license usage information for specific license manager types.
- The OpenLM Broker is required for attributing license usage to specific license pools in a multiple pool environment.
- It facilitates fetching of files from the remote license server machine to the local machine running the EasyAdmin web application
- It facilitates uploading of FlexLM license files from the local machine running the EasyAdmin web application to the remote license server machine.
The OpenLM System components are available for download on the OpenLM site. After filling in a username and email, the user will be directed to the download section. Select the OpenLM Version 3.0 on premise section.
In order to install the OpenLM Broker module on a Windows platform license server:
- Please go over the installation prerequisites for the OpenLM Broker.
Download the OpenLM Broker for windows from the OpenLM version 3.0 section (see above), and follow the installation instructions. OpenLM will install the Java Run-time Environment (JRE) as part of the Broker installation.
Open the OpenLM Broker configuration tool (Windows ‘Start’ → “All Programs” → OpenLM → Broker → “OpenLM Broker configuration tool ”). Note that the Broker automatically detects the settings of FlexLM license managers installed on the machine. The existence and location of FlexLM Options files is not automatically configured; Setting their names and paths remains to be done manually.
For Unix / Linux installation – please refer to the Comprehensive Broker guide.
The OpenLM Broker is installed on the license server. It must be configured to communicate with the OpenLM server.
1. Mark the “OpenLM Servers” directory icon.
2. Click the green “Add” icon
3. Select “OpenLM Server” from the selection list.
4. Configure the OpenLM Server’s parameters. The main parameters are:
- OpenLM Server: The server’s name or IP address (e.g.: OpenLM_Server).
- Port: The OpenLM port dedicated for the Broker (7016 by default).
5. Click the “Check connectivity to OpenLM Server” button to performs a connectivity check.
6. Click ‘Apply’ to save the information entered, and the “Restart Broker” button.
The Broker connects to license server ports, and conveys license usage information to the OpenLM license server. On windows’ installations, the Broker configuration tool automatically detects FlexLM License Managers on the host machine upon first startup. It displays a list of these license managers under the “License Servers” folder on the left pane. In order to add a license server manually, please do the following:
- Select “License Servers” on the left side of the screen.
- Click the “Add” button. A drop-down list appears.
- Type in and enter the hostname or IP of the new License Server. Make sure the hostname or IP configured on the OpenLM Server Configuration tool and on the Broker configuration tool are the same (see images below).
1. Click on the “Port” node under the new License Server key symbol. The “License Manager Port” form appears.
2. Fill in the License manager port parameters:
- Port Number: This Number is the same as the one configured in the “OpenLM Server Configuration Window”, under the “License Servers” tab.
- License Manager Type: Type of License server (e.g.: FLEXlm).
3. Type in the vendor name, under the newly created ‘Port’ node (e.g. for Autodesk, the vendor name is adskflex)
When the Broker is installed on the License server machine and configured to query its license usage locally, the OpenLM Server’s “OpenLM Server remotely queries license manager” check box should be left unchecked.
Open the EasyAdmin web application by typing the following URL on any web browser on any machine that is connected to the organizational network:
http://<OpenLM Server name>:7019/EasyAdmin2/index.html
- Click EasyAdmin Start → Management → License servers. The “License Servers” window appears. Verify that the configured license managers appear on the list.
- A green circle node indicates an active connection to a license server.
- Click the ‘+’ icon to expand the server indicator and view Broker related information. A correct configuration should present an “All green” indication, as depicted below. In case of other (error) indications, please refer to the OpenLM Broker Comprehensive installation Application note.
This concludes the brief OpenLM Broker guide. For more information on the different Broker capabilities and configurations, please refer to the following documentation: