- Register to Use the Software License Management Cloud Solution
- Configure the license monitoring on Software License Management Cloud
Software License Management Cloud is a software licensing and delivery model where software is hosted and licensed from a third party by subscription. Organizations chose Cloud in order to outsource hardware and software maintenance and reduce IT costs. OpenLM offers a Cloud solution, which enables organizations to implement license monitoring systems with minimal installation and maintenance efforts.
This document is a quick guide for basic installation and configuration for SaaS solutions. It assumes that OpenLM Broker is already installed on license servers that will be used in conjunction with Software License Management Cloud.
In order to implement the Software License Management Cloud solution, organizations need to do the following:
- Register to Use the Software License Management Cloud
- Configure OpenLM Broker for Software License Management Cloud
For additional information that gives broader perspectives on Software License Management Cloud, OpenLM Broker, and the OpenLM system, please see the following documents and resources:
- OpenLM Broker Comprehensive Installation
- Software License Management Cloud Registration and Configuration
- OpenLM System Structure Overview
Please contact our support team (email@example.com) with any questions about Software License Management Cloud configuration.
Register to Use the Software License Management Cloud Solution #
To begin to use the Software License Management Cloud solution, users must register. The following steps lead you through the registration process.
- Visit the OpenLM Free-Trial page on the company website. This will open the Download page in a web browser.
- Locate the link that prompts signing up for Software License Management Cloud (see Figure 1).
Figure 1: The box on the Free-Trial page with a link to register for Software License Management Cloud.
- Click the link “Try it on the Cloud.” This will open the registration page (see Figure 2).
Figure 2: The Software License Management Cloud Registration screen.
- Fill in all the fields on the form (all fields are required). You must also check the agreement to terms and fill in the robot check code, which is case-sensitive (see Figure 3).
Figure 3: The form completely filled out.
- Click the Register to Service button. The form is checked and submitted. When the submission is successful, the applicant receives a confirmation screen (see Figure 4), and an email is sent to the address provided for validation (be sure the address firstname.lastname@example.org will not be blocked by spam filter).
Figure 4: The registration confirmation screen.
- Check the email provided for the validation email. The email will contain a link to confirm your registration (“Please click to complete the registration process”) and an attached file (broker.xml). [NOTE: The link will only work for one attempt.]
- Click the link in the email. This will open a new browser window and confirm the successful validation. It will also prompt a second email that contains login details and further instructions.
Figure 5: The registration validation success screen.
- Locate the login information in the email. It will look something like Figure 6.
Figure 6: Login segment of the validation email.
- Click the link to log in . A browser window will open to the login page (see Figure 7).
Figure 7: The Software License Management Cloud login screen.
- Enter the Username and Password from the validation email in Step #8 (see Figure 8).
Figure 8: The Login screen with Username and Password entered.
- Click the Login button. This will open the Change Password prompt in the same browser window (see Figure 9).
Figure 9: The Change Password screen.
- Enter the original password in the first field (again from step #8).
- Enter a new password in the second field. [NOTE: The password must be longer than seven characters, include two digits, two lower-case and two upper case characters.]
- Enter the new password for confirmation in the third field. This must exactly match the password entered in Step #13.
- Click the Change Password button. The password will be stored for the account, and the user will be returned to the login screen (as in Figure 7) to log in with the changed password.
- Login again with the Username and new password by entering the parameters and clicking the Login button. This will open the home screen for Software License Management Cloud and Cloud Tour (see Figure 10).
Figure 10: The Software License Management Cloud Tour screen
Configure the license monitoring on Software License Management Cloud #
OpenLM Broker configuration for Software License Management Cloud creates a secure connection over a dedicated port between the OpenLM Broker and the cloud-resident OpenLM Server.
Automatic mode (via OpenLM Broker) #
In the Cloud Tour prompt (Figure 10), click Continue on the Automatic mode, which will lead to the following:
- Note: the Automatic mode requires the OpenLM Broker to be installed on the License Server machine. Consult the Broker installation guide for more information.
- When ensured the Broker is installed and configured on the License Server Machine, click Next.
- The next prompt will invite to download the Broker authorization file:
- When the Broker Authorization file is downloaded, have it handy on the License Server Machine
- Click Finish
Configure the Broker – Cloud Connection with the Broker authorization file #
- Place the Broker Authorization file on the License Server Machine in a convenient folder. This file can be located anywhere that the Broker installation can connect to it.
- Open up the OpenLM Broker.
- Click Add Software License Management Cloud Server. A new node will be created.
- Click on the Import Broker Authorization File. Navigate to the folder where the Broker Authorization file has been previously saved and import it to the Broker. The Client ID field and Client Secret field will be automatically populated:
Figure 15: The Broker Configuration Tool displaying the Saas server connectivity screen.
5. Click the [Check Connectivity to OpenLM Server button. This will perform a connectivity check by first opening a timer for the connection (see Figure 16). This will result in either a Success (a) or Error (b) screen.
Figure 16: The connection timer screen.
- If the Success screen appears (see Figure 17), go to Step #9.
Figure 17: The connection Success screen.
- If the Error screen appears (see Figure 18), check the following potential issues and repeat the action.
Figure 18: The connection Error screen.
- Be sure the internet connection is functioning.
- Be sure the configured OpenLM Broker is running.
- Check that there is no firewall conflict.
- Contact OpenLM support (email@example.com).
6. Click Apply to commit the information imported from the Broker Authorization File. A Save success screen will appear (see Figure 19).
Figure 19: The Save success screen.
7. Click [OK] to close the Save success screen.
8. Click the [Restart Broker] button. A success screen will appear confirming the service restarted successfully (see Figure 20).
Figure 20: The Broker restart success screen.
- Click the OK]button to close the Restart Service screen.
9. Click the Exit button at the bottom of the Broker screen to close the OpenLM Broker Configuration Tool.
At this point configuration of the OpenLM Broker to the Software License Management Cloud service is complete.
Add a License Server #
The OpenLM Broker connects to license server’s ports, and conveys license usage information to the OpenLM Server. The Software License Management Cloud service can be used with license servers that are properly configured in OpenLM Broker. For more details about configuring a license server, please refer to the dedicated OpenLM Broker Configuration documentation. The information from the license server configuration in Broker needs to be entered into the Software License Management Cloud configuration to complete the setup.
Configure Software License Management Cloud for Broker Connection #
- Login to your Software License Management Cloud account using your username, password, and the URL on the login screen (https://cloud.openlm.com/). This will open the Home screen for Software License Management Cloud.
- Click on the “License Servers“, then “There are x servers pending approval” (see Figure 21).
Figure 21: The Software License Management Cloud License Server screen.
- A new window “Manage License Servers” will be opened.
- Double click on the License Server you wish to approve.
Figure 22: The Update License Manager Server screen.
- Fill in the exact parameters for the license server port configured in the OpenLM Broker Configuration Tool that you want to connect to. These parameters are context-sensitive to the license manager type, so it is best to select that first.
- Select the license manager type in the LM Type field from the drop list.
- Enter the license server name or IP in the Host Name field.
- Enter the port in the Port Number field.
- [Optional] Change the time zone of the license server machine by selecting it from the drop list. The default value should reflect the setting from the local machine running the browser.
- Enter a Name for the license server. This is a free text field used for identification. At this point, the screen should look something like Figure 23 with the appropriate Name, Host Name/IP, and Port values.
- Enter the port in the Port Number field.
Figure 23: Update License Manager Server screen with entered values.
- Click the Approve button to commit the configuration. This will create a new row on the License Server tab.
- If the configuration was successful, you will be notified:
At this point the configuration is complete and the connection is confirmed. It is possible to add more server configurations and utilize Software License Management Cloud.