- Configure the Identity Service to secure the OpenLM components
- Configure the OpenLM Server to work in a secure environment
- Configure DSS to work in a secure environment with the Identity Service:
- Reports Scheduler
- Upgrading ServiceNow Adapter
- Configure ServiceNow to work in a secure environment with the Identity Service:
- It is mandatory to shutdown your OpenLM Server, and do a full backup of the OpenLM Database before proceeding with the upgrade
- Your current version of the OpenLM Server must be 5.6, the migration from Firebird to MariaDB/MSSQL/ MySQL executed
- Note: Identity Service, DSS, and OpenLM Server require individual schemas
- OpenLM v21 requires a new license file which will be stored in the OpenLM root folder, ex: C:Program FilesOpenLMOpenLM Serverlicense
This guide covers:
The guide will provide instructions on how to upgrade to the OpenLM Server v21 and configure it with the Identity Service. Understanding the installation process will allow you to properly set up OpenLM, configure the initial steps required to activate the Identity Server, and clarify any of the options presented by the OpenLM Server installer.
Upgrading the OpenLM Server #
- Contact our support department to obtain the OpenLM Server v21
- Once obtained, double click on the MSI installer, then strike the Next button.
Note: the message in red will only appear if you have not migrated the database before the Server upgrade from Firebird to any supported databases, otherwise space will be blank.
3. If you agree to the terms and want to continue with the upgrading, click the “I Agree” radio button. Clicking the radio button will enable the Next button. Clicking Cancel will exit the installer without any changes.
4. Select where the Server will be located. The default path is C:Program Files (x86)OpenLMOpenLM Server, then click Next
5. The installer is ready to run. Click Install
6. You will be directed to the Finish Prompt:
Make sure to store the new license file for v21 in C:Program Files (x86)OpenLMOpenLM ServerLicense.
At this point, locate the OpenLM Server Process in the Services list and right-click on it to restart:
7. Open up the EasyAdmin. Hover over the logo to check if the update is successful:
Installation and configuration of the Identity Service #
The Identity Service is a secured solution that manages the authentication for all the OpenLM products. It uses the industry-standard OAuth 2.0 and it serves to log a user right away.
Below is a short guide on how to install and configure the Identity Service:
- On the OpenLM website, obtain the OpenLM Identity Service. Double click on it to trigger the installation process:
2. Read carefully the terms and conditions. If compliant, tick the box to accept then click Next
3.The Identity Service requires an empty database. Make sure you have one before continuing with the installation:
4. The next prompt will disclose the temporary username and password. We strongly recommend changing them right away:
5. Immediately after you will be directed to the database configuration tool prompt. Type in all the required details. Test the connection. If successful, click Approve
6. Enter the port number then click Enter. The default is 5000:
7. In the next steps, the database will be created and the Identity Service configured:
8. When the configuration is completed, press Enter
9. Hit the Finish button. You will be redirected automatically to the OpenLM Identity Service UI. Type in the single-use credentials:
10. You will then be asked to change the temporary password. Type in a new reliable password, confirm it then hit the Change button:
11. Once the password has been changed, you will be redirected to the login page. Use your new credentials to access the Identity Service account
Configure the Identity Service to secure the OpenLM components #
To configure the OpenLM components to work in a secure environment, all select the Settings Icon in the Identity Service window:
Select the Security Configuration tab:
Further, we will upgrade each component to v21 then configure them work in a secured environment with the Identity Service.
Configure the OpenLM Server to work in a secure environment #
- In the Identity Service UI, select the Settings tab, then Security Configuration
- Turn on the Server toggle switch
- Provide the OpenLM Server IP or URL
- Type in the username (Admin by default)
- Click Save
6. Go to Services and restart both the Identity Service and the OpenLM Server
In the EasyAdmin Dashboard, we can now see the logout button:
Instead, if we turn off the Server’s toggle switch, the logout/in button will disappear( each time we turn on or off, the Server Service must be restarted):
The Directory Synchronization Service no longer supports the Firebird database engine, thus, it is mandatory to create a schema in any supported databases. (MariaDB, MySQL, MS SQL Server). The data will be migrated automatically from Firebird to the target DB. The migration will be done only for agents, domains, sync definitions. Entities and Relations will be recreated after syncs.
A license file that has support for the Directory Synchronization extension (contact email@example.com if unsure).
If installing DSS and DSA on a machine separate from OpenLM Server, make sure that the machine is on the same network as the domain controller.
- Obtain version 21 of DSS from the OpenLM support. Double-click to run the installer.
2. Check the “I agree to the license terms and conditions” box and click Next.
3. Choose the database type, tick the box then click Next.
4. Provide the Database configuration details then click Next
5. Select the path you want to install the DSS, the default one is:
6. The installation is ready to run. Thick the box if you want to create a desktop icon then click Next:
7. Wait for the upgrade process to complete then click Finish:
8. You will be then directed to the DSS UI, which is for the moment unsecured.
Configure DSS to work in a secure environment with the Identity Service: #
- Go to the Identity Service URL
- Select the Settings tab, then Security Configuration
- Turn on the toggle button for the DSS
- Type in the DSS URL
- Click Save
6. To complete the configuration, restart the DSS Service:
7. Use the desktop Icon or the Start Menu ->Administration -> in order to access the already secured environment.
Reports Scheduler #
- Double click on the installer to trigger the installation then click Next
2. Accept the terms and conditions and strike Next
3. Select the Destination folder. The default path is C:Program FilesOpenLMOpenLM Reports Scheduler. Click Next
4. Select the features you want to install then click Install
5. The installation is completed. Click Next then Finish
Upgrading ServiceNow Adapter #
1. Obtain the latest External Platforms Service & ServiceNow Adapter installer v21.x file (OpenLM_ServiceNow_Adapter_Installer_#.#.###.msi) from our Downloads page
2. Double-click the installer file to run it.
3. Check the “I agree to the license terms and conditions” box.
4. Click Next.
5. If you want to install the External Platforms & ServiceNow Adapter to a different location, click Browse and navigate to the destination folder of your choosing.
6. Click Next to begin the installation. Please note that this step may take up to several minutes depending on your hardware specifications.
7. When the next prompt pops out, make sure to follow the instructions, then click Finish:
8. You will be redirected to the ServiceNow Adapter UI, which is at the moment unsecured.
Configure ServiceNow to work in a secure environment with the Identity Service: #
- Go to the Identity Service UI
- Select the Settings tab then Security Configuration
- Turn on the ServiceNow toggle button
- Type in the Service now adapter URL
- Save the configuration
6. Restart the ServiceNow Adapter Service