Interfacing “Unmanaged” licenses – KB4035
OpenLM supports the management and monitoring of a variety of license manager types, such as Flexera FlexLM, DSLS and Sentinel RMS.
Since version 2.0, OpenLM has taken this ability one step forward: we have added the possibility of monitoring “unmanaged” software applications, that is, applications that are not associated with a license manager.
How is this done?
A process running on the PC is manually added through a module in EasyAdmin.
The OpenLM Agent (installed on the end-users’ workstations) reports the processes’ activity to the OpenLM Server.
The OpenLM Server is updated and presents usage information in EasyAdmin as well as in the OpenLM Agent “License usage information” window (see below):
Interfacing “unmanaged” licenses (step-by-step):
Every Software feature is run as a process on your PC. In order to locate it:
1. Make sure the application you want to monitor is up and running
2. Click Windows Start → OpenLM → Processes List. You should see a list of currently running processes
3. Identify the process that is used by the application feature you want to monitor and note down the process name
4. In the EasyAdmin interface click ‘Start’ → ‘Administration’ → “Unmanaged Processes”
5. In the “Unmanaged Processes” window, click the “Add Vendor” icon to add the Vendor to the list of monitored vendors.
6. The Add Vendor pop-up opens:
Insert the values as follows:
6a. Type in the software vendor name: The vendor’s name
6b. Feature Name: this is a free text field
6c. Process Name: Type in the Process name exactly as it is shown in the previously opened Process List tool.
6d. Description: this is a free text field
Additional features may be added to the monitored vendor using the “Add” button.
After the Process is configured to be monitored, it will appear on all relevant EasyAdmin windows as well as on the OpenLM Agent “License Usage Information” window.