External DB Support
The default OpenLM MariaDB Database
Benefits of an external database
An external database is recommended for managing large licensing schemes or when high performance is required. OpenLM has conducted internal experiments that have shown that external databases operated with superior performance to that of the default embedded database.
In addition to a boost in performance, license administrators also enjoy the following benefits:
- The information is stored on a database that is both familiar to the customer and managed by them.
- Customers may employ standard backup procedures to ensure OpenLM’s database functionality.
- Advanced OpenLM users may choose to develop their own reporting interface with the use of OpenLM APIs. Observing information in a familiar database will be an integral stage of developing and maintaining such functions.
Supported database versions
The following database versions have been tested and are supported by OpenLM:
- MSSQL Server 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2019
- Firebird Server 2.5.5 – end of support in April 2022. Please refer to this document.
- MySQL Server 5.7 and 8
- MariaDB Server 10.5
For more information regarding migration to an external database, please refer to this document.