OpenLM is a software license monitoring tool for a variety of concurrent license managers. It provides productivity tools for license usage optimization and application usage management.
OpenLM provides two main user interfaces:
- The EasyAdmin web application is meant for managers and system administrators.
- The OpenLM agent is meant for end-users. This document discusses the latter.
The OpenLM Agent is a lightweight optional software component that is installed on end users’ workstations. It provides a set of capabilities that empower end users, making them less dependent on system administrators. The Agent does not present a risk of negative impact on the organization’s network; It limits end users’ capabilities to a subset of safe actions according to their specific area of work.
Capabilities Provided by the OpenLM Agent
The OpenLM Agent provides a wide variety of productivity tools, affecting the working environment in many aspects:
Who’s Got My License?
End users are able to find out who’s got the license they need, and contact that person.
Idle or Active?
Idle sessions are monitored, and presented graphically in OpenLM EasyAdmin. See here for more information: Monitoring Idle Application time.
Manual Application Shutdown
Administrators can manually shut down specific applications or check licenses back into the license pool: Retrieving licenses manually via the CCL window
Automatic Idle License Retrieval
OpenLM Agent facilitates different methods to automatically shut down software applications, and retrieve concurrent licenses. Please refer to these application notes for more information:
- License retrieval of idle applications – Enhanced Agent procedures
- License retrieval of idle applications (MATLAB, Autodesk, ArcGIS, Solidworks) – Save and Close
- License retrieval of idle FlexLM applications – Suspend and Resume
A notification for licenses being shut down is available by configuring the EasyAdmin Start → Administration → “Agent Policy” → ”Notification for recently closed applications” .
OpenLM monitors a wide variety of licensed applications, and provides license usage statistics by directly querying specific types of license servers. OpenLM is constantly striving to enhance its capabilities, and add new license server types to its portfolio. Nevertheless, there will always be license server types for which OpenLM will not have a dedicated interface to apply license usage queries.
It is for such cases that OpenLM has developed a unique solution; The OpenLM Agent is employed to accumulate usage statistics on the end-users’ workstations. OpenLM refers to this capability as “Unmanaged licenses” monitoring. Further details on this can be found here: Working with Unmanaged licenses.
Proactive License management
The OpenLM Proactive License Manager serves as a shell for vendors’ license managers. It provides intricate license management capabilities that are not provided by the vendors’ license manager.
It is designed with the users’ best interest in mind, and with the intention of returning control back to the software users.
The OpenLM Proactive License Manager interfaces the the end-users workstations through the OpenLM Agents, and may be configured to intercept the launching of applications according to predefined configuration.
License availability notification
After the license pool has been exhausted and end users are denied from checking out further licenses, they would receive license availability notifications when these licenses have been made available again (see below). This option is enabled by checking the EasyAdmin Start → Administration → Agent Policy”Available license notification” box.
OpenLM can be configured to log license usage according to projects. The OpenLM Agent may prompt the end user for the currently active project name to actively select the project name through a menu item. This will attribute all license usage on that workstation to the selected project, until the setting is changed.
For more information on license usage logging according to projects see this document: License Usage Monitoring According to Projects
ArcGIS License level
OpenLM was originally written by ESRI ArcGIS veterans, and as such still includes some ArcGIS specific benefits. Setting the ArcGIS license level is one of them.
Additional information such as the Workstation IP is provided to the OpenLM Server by the Agent.
The OpenLM Agent is available in the Downloads section on the OpenLM site. OpenLM Agent can either be installed manually per workstation, or silently distributed by a script: OpenLM Agent Silent Installation.
During installation, the user may be prompted to choose whether to add OpenLM extensions to certain supported applications. At the time of writing this revision – these applications include ArcGIS, Autodesk and MATLAB. The OpenLM extensions provide additional capabilities for such as saving and closing idle sessions and managing ArcGIS license levels (see below).
After installing the software on the workstation, an OpenLM agent icon will appear on the taskbar:
Right click the Agent’s icon to display the following menu:
Create New Project & Set Active Project
As stated above, OpenLM can attribute license usage according to active projects. The end user may create an active project name or be prompted to select the active project from a dropdown list.
The ”Set Active project” and “Create new project” option are hidden by default. In order to show them, open the EasyAdmin web application and click Start → Administration → Projects, and check the ”Log projects information” box. For more information on license usage logging according to projects see this document: License Usage Monitoring According to Projects
Recently closed documents
As explained above, the OpenLM Agent facilitates different methods to actively shut down software applications, and retrieve concurrent licenses. Please refer to these application notes for more information:
- License retrieval (Manual method), and Monitoring Idle Application time – AN4005a
- License retrieval of idle applications – Enhanced Agent procedures – AN4005d
- License retrieval of idle applications (MATLAB, Autodesk, ArcGIS, Solidworks) – Save and Close – AN4005b
- License retrieval of idle FlexLM applications – Suspend and Resume – AN4005c
In addition, applications can be automatically shut down at a predefined time by checking the EasyAdmin Start → Administration → “Active Agent” → ”Extension dedicated” → ”Actively shut open applications down at” box.
OpenLM will indicate such cases of administrative license closure in the “Recently closed documents” window.
Clicking the magnifying glass will pop a screenshot of the application prior to its closure.
Clicking the Process name will resume the application, and check out a new license for it (if available).
License usage information
The ability to query license availability from the end user workstation is a very important step towards improving license usability. The license usage window displays the total number of used, borrowed, and available licenses per license server. Click on a row to get the complete list of active users who are currently drawing on a specific license (e.g.: ArcView). Click on one of the user entries (e.g.: CPearson), and you will get the user’s details as are available on the OpenLM database.
The license usage status may be hidden from end users by checking the ”Hide license status query option” box, follow this path: EasyAdmin Start → Administration → Agent Policy.
License usage filtering
There are several methods of filtering entries in the Agent’s license usage window, so that end users would only see the information regarding licenses of interest.
1. Using the ‘Search’ text box, in the “License usage information” window
2. By applying roles and permissions to users and user groups. This will limit the presented information to specific license servers.
3. Filtering entries in single features’ resolution can be accomplished by editing the OpenLM_Agent.config XML file:
3.1 Open the Agent’s “License usage information” window
3.2 Open the OpenLM_Agent.config file. It is normally located at:
This file can also be found through the Windows start button:
Start → All Programs → OpenLM → Agent → Tools → OpenLM Agent logs folder.
3.3 Check the ‘Hide’ button for each entry that the user will not see. This will invoke appropriate entries in the OpenLM_Agent.config XML file.
3.4 This file can be now distributed among users, to show only the features of interest.
Set ArcGIS License level
Three licensing levels are available in ArcGIS (From high to low): Professional, Editor and ArcView. ArcGIS end users can set this licensing level before activating the software. If such a license is available, the software will start in that chosen level.
The Set ArcGIS licensing level option is hidden by default in order to avoid end users changing the licensing levels by themselves. It can be shown by clearing the EasyAdmin Start → Administration → “Active Agent” → “Extension dedicated” → “Hide Set ArcGIS License Level from agents checkbox”. For more on ArcGIS license level determination, please see this document: Set ESRI ArcGIS licensing Level
Display the OpenLM Agent and Server versions
The option of shutting down the agent software on the local workstation is hidden by default and can be displayed by clearing the ”Hide exit option for local administrator” box. Follow this path: EasyAdmin Start → Administration → Agent Policy.
NOTE: When the agent is closed, the OpenLM system is unable to ascertain license activity on that computer, therefore idle license retrieval will not be performed.
OpenLM Agent Configuration form
At most cases, the OpenLM Agent would be silently distributed among all workstations of a network. The OpenLM Agent Configuration form is designed to manually set and test the connection of a single workstation to the OpenLM server.
- “Language” : Click the drop-down menu and select from the list of languages to be displayed in the Agent windows.
- “OpenLM Server” : This is the OpenLM server, NOT the license (e.g.: Flexera FLEXnet) server.
- “Port” : The communication port between the OpenLM Server and OpenLM Agent. The default is 7012. For more information, please read this document: Changing ports numbers in OpenLM
- “Use SSL” : use this option to use secure communication between the OpenLM Agent and the OpenLM Server. This process requires acquiring an SSL certificate, and should be performed by a system administrator. For more information – please consult this document.
- “Logger configuration file” and “Logging level” The Agent’s Log file location and logging level are set here.
- “Skip double instance alert” (Disabled by default): Avoid being notified when trying to open a 2nd Agent instance.
- “Shut Agent when products are inactive after … seconds:” This is option is meant for virtual workstations like Citrix. Shutting down the Agent when there are no active applications will enable the Citrix workstation to shut down, avoiding unnecessary Citrix license consumption.
- “Use local computer’s proxy settings” (Disabled by default) : Communicate with the OpenLM server via proxy.
- “Maximum number of lines in the Agent Console”: The Agent Console is a useful debugging tool that accounts the status of the OpenLM Agent. In order to open it, follow this path: Windows’ Start → All programs → OpenLM → Agent → Tools → OpenLM Agent Console.
“OpenLM Proactive Management” tab
The configuration options embedded in this tab enable all aspects of the OpenLM Agent in relation to the OpenLM Proactive Manager (e.g. intercepting the launch of a specific application)
These capabilities and configurations are elaborated in the “OpenLM Proactive Application Manager – AN4058” document.
Agent configuration windows in OpenLM EasyAdmin
There are two configuration windows for the OpenLM Agent in the EasyAdmin administrative web application.
1. The ”Active Agent” window is accessible by following this path: EasyAdmin Start → Administration → Active Agent. This window is dedicated to the functionality of idle license retrieval, and is fully elaborated in the respective Application notes (see above).
2. The ”Agent Policy” window is accessible by following this path: EasyAdmin Start → Administration → Agent Policy. All the configurations in this window have already been explained above in this document.