Interfacing License Manager using the Generic License Server Interface – KB 310
This document describes the steps required to interface a License Manager by using OpenLM Generic License Server Interface in order to monitor license usage and obtain license statistics.
Table for Contents:
To query your License Manager, the following components must be installed:
1. OpenLM Server installed on a machine in your organization.
2. OpenLM Broker installed on the same machine as of the License Manager.
Diagram of how OpenLM interfaces with the License Manager
The mechanism for interfacing the License Manager through OpenLM Broker works as follows. The license manager server must have some utility / tool to generate the license usage output in the XML generic format. Then, it is queried locally. This is done by Broker through the License Manager command-line. The command line / HTTP URL of the license manager / utility on the license manager server to read the current license usage in the Generic XML format should be configured in the data_inquiry node under Commands. The data inquiry command periodically queries the License Manager for the license usage information. Once queried, this data is compiled by Broker and sent to OpenLM Server for processing.
Manual OpenLM Broker Configuration
Configure the license manager manually in the OpenLM Broker. To do so:
1. Click Add Port.
2. Enter the License Manager port number (e.g.. 27021).
3. Select “License Manager Type” as OpenLM Generic from the drop-down menu. Click Apply.
4. In the Status node, enter the same command as added in data inquiry, or it can be disabled.
5. Select the data_inquiry node under Commands, add the Command line / HTTP URL of the license manager / utility on the license manager server, then click Execute. Make sure that you see a valid output (i.e. no errors).
6. Click Restart Broker.
7. Follow the steps in section 3 (“OpenLM Server Configuration”), below.
Automatic OpenLM Server Configuration through EasyAdmin
If you have followed the steps in the section above, OpenLM Broker should now be transmitting the added license usage data to OpenLM Server. The final step is to approve the configuration in EasyAdmin:
1. Open the EasyAdmin interface in your browser or through Windows Start → OpenLM → OpenLM EasyAdmin User Interface.
2. In the Administration – License Managers Servers window, hover over the row that contains the details of your newly added License server entry pending for approval and Approve.
3. Click the Approve button to approve the License server entry.
At this point, the License Manager has been automatically added to OpenLM Server and configuration is complete.
Manual OpenLM Server Configuration
If automatic configuration has failed, you can manually configure OpenLM Server to connect to the OpenLM Broker installation located on the License Manager machine.
Adding a License Manager Server
1. Select the License Manager Servers tab under Administration in the OpenLM EasyAdmin User Interface.
2. Click Add LM.
3. From the Type drop-down menu, select OpenLM Generic.
4. Insert a unique display name to identify the license manager in the Display Name text box.
5. Enter the Hostname and Port number of the machine where the License Manager is installed. These must be exactly the same as configured for Broker in the previous section.
6. Set the Time Zone to where the License Manager physically resides.
7. Use Broker box: checked.
8. Click Save.
OpenLM Server is now configured to monitor the incoming data from OpenLM Broker.
To check if the License Manager is being monitored correctly:
1. Open the EasyAdmin web application.
2. Click EasyAdmin Start → Widgets → License Manager – Servers. Verify that the configured license manager(s) appears in the server list. A green circle node indicates an active connection to the license server.