OpenLM supports license monitoring of a wide and ever-growing variety of license managers.
This document elaborates on the steps required to configure OpenLM to monitor the Beta LM license manager, monitor license usage and obtain license statistics.
There are two options to query the BetaLM License Server:
- The first option is to remotely query the license server from the OpenLM Server.
- The second option is to install the OpenLM Broker, query the License Server locally, and propagate the information back to the OpenLM Server.
Option One: OpenLM Direct Server method #
OpenLM Server configuration
In order to enable OpenLM to access the Beta-LM license server, follow these steps:
- Access the OpenLM EasyAdmin User Interface.
- Navigate to Sart → Administration → License Manager Servers.
- Click on LM Tools.
- Select LM Type ‘BetaLM’ from the drop-down menu.
- Copy the beta_lm_stat.exe file to the path C:\Program Files\OpenLM\OpenLM Server\LM and enter the full path in the text box as shown below:
- Click SAVE.
- Switch to the LM Servers.
- Click Add LM.
- Type in a descriptive text in the Display name text box.
- From the Type drop-down menu, select BetaLM
- Enter the appropriate Hostname and Port numbers. The LMX default port is 6007.
- Set the Time Zone to where the License Server physically resides
- “Enable Triad Configuration”: OpenLM supports multiple server redundancy configurations for several types of license servers (e.g. FlexLM, DSLS, IBM LUM).
- Usee Broker option:
a. Switch Off (Default): The OpenLM Server actively queries the license manager. Keep this configuration when not employing the OpenLM Broker.
b. Switch On: Usage information is obtained solely by the OpenLM Broker installation on the License manager machine.
- Click SAVE
OpenLM Server should be ready to query your BetaLM license manager and present the information over the EasyAdmin web application.
Option Two: via the OpenLM Broker #
The OpenLM Broker is an optional, though highly recommended component, that should be installed and configured on the Beta-LM license manager machine. The OpenLM Broker queries the Beta-LM license server locally, and propagates the data to the OpenLM Server. It facilitates robust, buffered communication with the OpenLM Server to overcome temporary network failures.
Follow the same steps for configuring the OpenLM Server as listed above, but Switch ON the Use Broker option.
1. Download and install the latest OpenLM Broker version. 2. Click “Add Port”.
3. Enter the Beta-LM license server port (e.g. 6007).
This configuration must exactly match that of the OpenLM Server configuration tool (see above).
4. In the ‘status‘ and “data_inquiry” nodes, enter the full path to the beta_lm_stat.exe file, as depicted below then click Apply:
5. Click Restart Broker.
6. Additionally, you can use the OpenLM Broker Web UI.
Verify the BetaLM configuration on the EasyAdmin web application #
Check to see if the Beta-LM License Server is monitored properly by the OpenLM Server:
- Open the EasyAdmin web interface (access http://<OpenLM Server hostname>:5015 in your browser)
- Verify that the configured license manager appears on the list. A green circle node indicates an active connection to a license server.