Interfacing the Slickedit license manager – KB4001o
SlickEdit is a popular cross-platform, multi-language source code and text editor. It provides various coding tools and time-saving programming features. SlickEdit 2014 facilitates coding in over 40 languages on 9 different platforms.
Usage of the SlickEdit editor is licensed and managed by a proprietary license manager. This application note elaborates the steps required to configure OpenLM to interface the SlickEdit license manager, to monitor license usage and obtain license usage statistics.
There are two options to query the License Server:
1. Directly query the license server from the OpenLM Server.
2. Query the license server locally by the OpenLM Broker and propagate the information back to the OpenLM Server.
2. Option One: OpenLM Server Method
2.1. Enabling the OpenLM Server to work with Slickedit
In order to configure OpenLM to work with SlickEdit, follow this procedure:
- Open the OpenLM Server configuration tool, and select the ”LM Tools” tab, located on the left side.
- Select the SlickEdit tab.
- Either copy or install the SlickEdit selicutil.exe executable file to “C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenLM\OpenLM Server\LM”.
- Type in the full path of the executable file, i.e.: “C:\Program Files\OpenLM\OpenLM Server\LM\selicutil.exe” in the ”SlickEdit executable file” text box, click the ‘Apply’.
2.2. Introducing a new SlickEdit server
After configuring the OpenLM configuration tool to work with SlickEdit as described above, introduce a new SlickEdit server under the License Servers tab:
- Select the License Servers tab
- Click Add
- From the Type drop-down menu, select SlickEdit
- Insert a descriptive name in the Description text box (e.g. “SlickEdit license server”)
- Set the Timezone to where the License Server physically resides
- Submit an appropriate Hostname and Port number (SlickEdit_server and 27100 respectively). Note that the default port used is 27100 which must not be used by any other application, and must have clearance through all firewalls.
- “Is Triad Configuration”: Keep unchecked.
- Checked (Default): The OpenLM Server actively queries the license manager. Keep this configuration when not employing the OpenLM Broker.
- Unchecked: Usage information is obtained solely via the OpenLM Broker installation on the License manager machine.
- Use Broker unchecked.
- Click Apply, and the consequent “Restart now” button.
3. Option Two: via Broker
3.1. OpenLM Server configuration for SlickEdit
The OpenLM Server configuration will be exactly the same as performed in the previous method, i.e. without the Broker, except that the “Use Broker” check box should now be checked.
3.2. OpenLM Broker configuration for SlickEdit
The OpenLM Broker is an optional though highly recommended component, that should be installed and configured on the SlickEdit license manager machine. It provides:
- Accurate license statistics
- Facilitates communication between the OpenLM Server and the License manager
1. Download and install the latest OpenLM Broker version. Follow the installation instructions on the OpenLM Broker Application Note.
2. Select the license server node then click Add Port.
2a. The license server name and port number should be configured exactly as they were on the OpenLM Server configuration tool (i.e.: SlickEdit_server and 27100 respectively)
2b. Select SlickEdit from the License Manager Type dropdown box.
2c. The vendor name should be set correctly (e.g. “SlickEdit”)
3. The SlickEdit commands for ‘Status’ and “Data_inquiry” should be set as depicted below. Replace <fullpath> with the actual path to the selicutil executable file.
4. Click ‘Apply’ and “Restart Broker”.
4. Verifying the SlickEdit configuration
To check to see if the SlickEdit License Server interface is working correctly, please
1. Open the EasyAdmin web application. Click EasyAdmin Start → Widgets→ License servers. The License Servers window appears. Verify that the configured license managers appear on the list.
2. Currently consumed licenses appear in the EasyAdmin Start → Operational → “Currently consumed licenses” window.
Your OpenLM system is now configured to provide SlickEdit licensing information. If you require further assistance on this subject, please contact support [at] openlm.com , and our team will be glad to assist.