OpenLM supports license monitoring of a wide, and ever-growing variety of license managers.
This document elaborates the steps required to configure OpenLM to interface Sentinel HASP, monitor license usage ,and obtain license statistics. OpenLM only supports HASP versions 5.0 and higher. Versions 4 and lower are not supported.
To query the Sentinel HASP License Manager, the following components must be installed:
- OpenLM Server installed on a machine in your organization
- Additionally, OpenLM Broker installed on the same machine as the Sentinel HASP License Manager for more accurate data
Monitoring capabilities and features #
The current monitoring capabilities available for Sentinel HASP through OpenLM Broker are as follows:
- Denials Reporting Yes
- Report resolution By Minute
- Borrowed License reporting No
- Expiration Date reporting No
- Multiple Server Redundancy Support No
- Token License Support No
Interfacing Sentinel HASP using OpenLM Server only #
Diagram of how OpenLM interfaces with Sentinel HASP using OpenLM Server only
The first option for interfacing Sentinel HASP is to have OpenLM Server query the license manager server directly. Using this option however ,limits the available data to only license totals and license usage.
Adding a new Sentinel HASP server directly in OpenLM EasyADmin User Interface
- Access your OpenLM account..
- Navigate to Start→Administration→License Manager Servers.
- In the upper left corner find LMAdd and click on it. ADD LICENSE window will open:
- Insert a display name in the Display name box to help you recognize the license manager.
- From the Type drop-down menu, select HASP.Use Broker toggle -Switch ON to enable OpenLM Server to work with OpenLM Broker to locally query the license server. (to support this feature install OpenLM Broker on the LM server). When switched OFF, OpenLM Server remotely queries the license manager output file, without Broker involvement. Set the Time Zone to where the license server physically resides (e.g. UTC +02:00 Jerusalem).
- Submit an appropriate Hostname and Port number.
- Enable Triad Configuration toggle: off.
- Use Broker box: unchecked.
- Vendor Name: the Sentinel Hasp vendor name – any descriptive text to help differentiate by vendor in EasyAdmin User interface reports.
- Click Apply then close the OpenLM Server configuration tool.OpenLM Server should now be ready to query your Sentinel HASP License Manager remotely and present the relevant license information via the EasyAdmin user interface6. Interfacing Sentinel HASP License Manager using OpenLM Server + OpenLM Broker
Diagram of how OpenLM interfaces with the Sentinel HASP License Manager using OpenLM Broker
The second option for interfacing with Sentinel HASP License Manager is to have OpenLM Broker query the license manager server locally. This is done through the Sentinel HASP License Manager command-line utilities and any available Sentinel HASP License Manager usage log files. Once this data is queried by Broker, it is sent to OpenLM Server for processing. Using this option gives you full monitoring capabilities over Sentinel HASP License Manager.
Manual OpenLM Broker configuration
- Click Add Port
- Enter the Sentinel HASP License Manager server port number (e.g. 5093)
- Select Sentinel HASP License Manager from the “License Manager Type” drop-down menu.
- Select the Commands node. Click […] to the left of “Update path for commands:” and browse to the folder where the Sentinel HASP License Manager command-line utilities are located. Click Update.
- (Windows only) If your Sentinel HASP License Manager install is configured to run using a Windows service, check the Use Service box and type in Sentinel HASP License Manager
- Click Apply.
- Select the data_inquiry node under Commands then click Execute. Make sure that you see a valid output. Right-click the Log Files node and then click Add Log File.
- Select the newly created log node.
- Select Other from the Type drop-down menu.
- Click […] right to the Path field and browse to the location of the Sentinel HASP License Manager usage log file as you have configured it in section 4.1.
- Click Apply.
- Click Restart Broker.
Once Broker has been configured, it should be sending data to OpenLM Server. The final step in interfacing Sentinel HASP License Manager with OpenLM is to approve the configuration in EasyAdmin User Interface.
Automatic OpenLM Server configuration via EasyAdmin
- Open the EasyAdmin User Interface by accessing Windows Start → OpenLM → OpenLM EasyAdmin User Interface→Start→Widgets→License Manager – Servers.
- Navigate to the Servers pending approval icon and click on it.
- In the newly opened prompt, double-click on the license manager with Pending Status, (i.e Sentinel HASP License Manager).
- Give a descriptive name to the added connection (e.g HASP) or leave the default one. Make sure the Enabled toggle button is on. Click Approve.
Enabling the OpenLM server to work with Sentinel HASP #
If the OpenLM Server is installed on the same machine as the HASP license server, then no additional setting is required. If OpenLM Server is installed on a different machine than the HASP server, follow these actions:
- Open the Sentinel Hasp Admin Control Center port (default 1947) on firewall.
- In the Configuration tab, under the Basic Settings tab, change the settings of Sentinel Hasp Admin Control Center to check the box to Allow Remote Access to ACC . See the image below for clarification.