Interfacing Siemens SIMATIC License Manager
This document describes the steps required to interface OpenLM with the Siemens SIMATIC License Manager in order to monitor license usage and obtain license statistics.
To query the Siemens SIMATIC License the following components must be installed:
- OpenLM Server v2x installed on a machine in your organization
- OpenLM Broker v21.11 or higher installed on the same machine as the Siemens SIMATIC LicenseMonitor
The current monitoring capabilities available for Siemens SIMATIC LicenseMonitor through OpenLM Broker are as follows:
|Feature||Resolution||License totals||License usage||Denials Reporting||Borrowed License Reporting||Expiration Date Reporting||Multiple Server Redundancy|
Diagram of how OpenLM interfaces with the Siemens SIMATIC LicenseManager
Broker reads the Siemens SIMATIC License Manager log file. Once read, the data is compiled and sent to OpenLM Server for processing.
- Click Add Port.
- Since Broker only reads the log file, enter any port number (e.g. 888).
- Select Siemens SIMATIC from the “License Manager Type” drop-down menu. Click Apply.
- Select “Vendor Name to Be Filled” under Vendors. Enter Siemens SIMATIC in the “Vendor Name” field then click Apply.
- Select the Log Files node and click on Add Log File.
- Select the “log” node that has just been created. Click […] and browse to the path where the Siemens Simatic License Manager *.log file is located.
- Click Apply.
- Click Restart Broker.
- Follow the steps in section 4 below.
- Open any convenient web browser. In the address bar type in the following address: http://localhost:5090/;
- Click on the License Managers tab then Add License Manager:
3. A pop-up will open. From the drop-down list select the License Manager type and input the port (since Broker only reads the log file, enter any port number (e.g. 888). Click Add:
4. In the newly opened screen, click on the Vendors tab. Click on Add Vendor. Input the name then click Confirm:
5. Click on the Log Files tab:
6. Click Add Log File, a pop-up window will appear.
You can either input the path manually or browse it by clicking on the Magnifier Icon:
Once found, click on the log file to select it then click Open.
7. From the drop-down list, select the vendor – Siemens SIMATIC.
8. Click Continue
File explorer pop up window
9. Click Save.
If you have followed the steps in the section above, OpenLM Broker should now be transmitting data to OpenLM Server. The final step is to approve the configuration in EasyAdmin:
- Open the EasyAdmin interface either by accessing Windows Start → OpenLM → OpenLM EasyAdmin User Interface.
- In the License Servers window, double click on the red row that contains the details of the newly added Siemens SIMATIC License Manager server entry.
3. In the newly opened prompt, give a descriptive name to the added connection or leave the default one. Also, leave the default type “OpenLM Generic. Click Approve.
At this point, the Siemens SIMATIC License Manager has been automatically added to OpenLM Server and the configuration is complete. It will take a few moments until the data is parsed and available. The green circle will confirm the status:
Manual OpenLM Server configuration
If the automatic configuration has failed, you can manually configure OpenLM Server to connect to the OpenLM Broker installation located on the Siemens SIMATIC License Manager machine.
The hostname and port settings must match those that have been configured for OpenLM Broker.
- Go to Start→Administration→ License Manager Servers.
- Click Add LM.
- From the Type drop-down menu, select OpenLM Generic.
- Insert a description in the Description text box (e.g. “Siemens SIMATIC”)
- Set the Time Zone to where the License Server physically resides.
- Enter the Hostname and Port number of the machine where the Siemens SIMATIC LM is installed.
- Is Triad Configuration box: unchecked.
- Use Broker box: checked.
- Click Save.
OpenLM Server is now configured to monitor the incoming data from OpenLM Broker.
To check if the Siemens SIMATIC License Manager server is being monitored correctly:
- Open the EasyAdmin web application in your browser.
- Click EasyAdmin Start → Widgets → License Servers. Verify that the configured license manager(s) appears in the server list. A green circle node indicates an active connection to the license server.
Please note that sometimes it may take up to 3 minutes for the status indicator to change if this is a new connection.