OpenLM supports license monitoring of a wide and ever-growing variety of license managers.
This application note elaborates on the steps required to configure OpenLM to interface with the MathLM license manager, monitor license usage and obtain license statistics.
There are two options to query the BetaLM License Server:
- The first option is to remotely query the license server from the OpenLM Server.
- The second option is to install the OpenLM Broker, query the License Server locally, and propagate the information back to the OpenLM Server.
2. Option One: OpenLM Server direct method
Enabling the OpenLM server to interface with the MathLM license server #
In order to configure OpenLM to work with MathLM, follow these steps:
- Access the OpenLM EasyAdmin interface
- Navigate to Sart -> Administration -> License Manager Servers
- Click on LM Tools
- Select LM Type ‘MathLM’ from the drop-down menu
- Copy the monitorlm.exe file to the path C:\Program Files\OpenLM\OpenLM Server\LM and enter the full path in the text box as shown below
- Click SAVE
Introducing a new MathLM server: #
After configuring the OpenLM configuration tool to work with MathLM as described above, introduce a new MathLM server under the License Servers tab:
- Click Add LM.
- Type in a descriptive text in the Display name text box.
- From the Type drop-down menu, select MathLM
- Enter the appropriate Hostname and Port numbers. The MathLM default port is 16286.
- Set the Time Zone to where the License Server physically resides
- “Enable Triad Configuration”: OpenLM supports multiple server redundancy configurations for several types of license servers (e.g. FlexLM, DSLS, IBM LUM).
- Usee Broker option:
- Switch Off (Default): The OpenLM Server actively queries the license manager. Keep this configuration when not employing the OpenLM Broker.
- Switch On: Usage information is obtained solely by the OpenLM Broker installation on the License manager machine.
- Click SAVE.
Your OpenLM Server is now able to monitor your MathLM licenses.
Open the EasyAdmin web application to produce real-time and historical usage reports.
Option Two: via the OpenLM Broker #
The OpenLM Broker is optional, though highly recommended component, that should be installed and configured on the MathLM license server machine. The OpenLM Broker queries the MathLM license server locally, and propagates the data to the OpenLM Server. It facilitates robust, buffered communication with the OpenLM Server to overcome temporary network failures, and security issues.
Follow the same steps for configuring the OpenLM Server as listed above, with the following exception: Switch ON the “Use Broker” option.
2. Configure the OpenLM Broker to monitor the MathLM license server on the license manager’s port. These configurations must exactly match those of the OpenLM Server configuration tool (see above).
3. In the ‘status‘, ‘data_inquiry‘ command line text boxes, fill in the full path to the “monitorlm.exe” file. You can use the Commands node to indicate a path and click Update to update all of them at once.
4. Click Apply then Restart Broker.
5. Additionally, the Broker Web UI can be used to make the configurations.
Verify the MathLM configuration #
Verify the OpenLM configuration to monitor the MathLM license server via the EasyAdmin web application.
- Open the EasyAdmin web interface (access http://<OpenLM Server hostname>:5015 in your browser)
- Verify that the configured license manager appears on the list. A green circle node indicates an active connection to a license server.