Interfacing the MathLM license manager – KB4001d
OpenLM is a license management and monitoring system for a wide variety of Network license types, such as Flexera FLEXnet Publisher (FLEXlm) and Sentinel RMS.
This application note elaborates the steps required to configure OpenLM to interface the MathLM license manager, to monitor license usage and obtain license statistics.
Two options to query the MathLM License Server
- the first option is to remotely query the license server from the OpenLM Server.
- the second option is to install the OpenLM Broker on the same machine as the MathLM license server, query the License Server locally, and propagate the information back to the OpenLM Server.
2. Option One: OpenLM Server direct method
2.1. Enabling the OpenLM server to interface the MathLM license server
In order to configure OpenLM to work with MathLM, follow these steps:
2. Open the OpenLM Server configuration tool.
3. Select the LM Tools tab, located on the left side, and select the MathLM tab
4. Copy monitorlm.exe to “C:\Program Files\OpenLM\OpenLM Server\LM” (32bit) or “C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenLM\OpenLM Server\LM” (64bit)
5. Type in the full path of the executable file, “C:\Program Files(x86)\OpenLM\OpenLM Server\LM\monitorlm.exe” in the MathLM executable file text box.
6. Click Apply, and the consequent “Restart now” button.
2.2. Introducing a new MathLM server:
After configuring the OpenLM configuration tool to work with MathLM as described above, introduce a new MathLM server under the License Servers tab:
1. Select the License Servers tab, and click the Add button.
2. From the Type drop-down menu, select MathLM
3. Type in a descriptive text in the Description text box (e.g.: “my mathlm server”)
4. Set the Time Zone to where the License Server physically resides (e.g.: Pacific time).
5. Type in the appropriate license server Hostname (e.g.: “mathlm_server_name”)
6. Port: MathLM does not require the use of a port, but the OpenLM Server configuration tool does. Type in a number (e.g. 11111) to fill the port field.
7. “Is Triad Configuration”: OpenLM supports multiple server redundancy configurations for several types of license servers (e.g. FlexLM, DSLS, IBM LUM). At the time of writing this article, OpenLM does not yet support multiple server redundancy for MathLM. Keep this box unchecked.
8. Use Broker check box:
- Unchecked (Default): The OpenLM Server actively queries the license manager. Keep this configuration when not employing the OpenLM Broker.
- Checked: Usage information is obtained solely by the OpenLM Broker installation on the License manager machine.
9. Click Apply.
Your OpenLM Server is now able to monitor your MathLM licenses.
Open the EasyAdmin web application to produce real time and historical usage reports.
3. Option Two: via the OpenLM Broker
The OpenLM Broker is an optional, though highly recommended component, that should be installed and configured on the MathLM license server machine. The OpenLM Broker queries the MathLM license server locally, and propagates the data to the OpenLM Server. It facilitates robust, buffered communication with the OpenLM Server to overcome temporary network failures, and security issues.
3.1. OpenLM Server configuration
Follow the same steps for configuring the OpenLM Server as listed above, with the following exception: Check the “Use Broker” box.
3.2. OpenLM Broker configuration
1. Download and install the latest OpenLM Broker version. Follow the installation and configuration instructions on the OpenLM Broker Application Note:
- OpenLM Broker installation Guide: Quick Reference or
- OpenLM Broker Installation Guide: Comprehensive
2. Configure the OpenLM Broker to monitor the MathLM license server (e.g. SILV-PC) on the license manager’s port (e.g. 11111). These configurations must exactly match those of the OpenLM Server configuration tool (see above).
3. In the ‘status‘, ‘data_inquiry‘ command line text boxes, fill in the full path to the “monitorlm.exe” file. You can use the Commands node to indicate a path and click Update to update all of them at once.
4. Click Apply then Restart Broker.
4. Verify the MathLM configuration
Verify the OpenLM configuration to monitor the MathLM license server via the EasyAdmin web application.
- Open the EasyAdmin web application.
- Click EasyAdmin Start → Widgets→ License Servers. The License Servers window appears.
- Verify that the configured license manager appear on the list. A green circle node indicates an active connection to a license server.