OpenLM supports license monitoring of a wide and ever-growing variety of license managers, such as FlexLM and DSLS. This application note elaborates on the steps required to configure OpenLM to interface the SEH UTN license dongle server in order to monitor license usage and availability and extract license statistics.
SEH-UTN license dongle server #
The SEH hardware ”Dongle Server” component serves as a hub and access point for multiple license dongle USB keys. This solution provides:
- Connection of license dongles to multiple workstations and users.
- Switching of license allocation according to requirements
- Safe and unique storage for multiple dongle keys
OpenLM has teamed up with SUH to provide clear and accurate license usage and statistics reporting for license dongle users.
SEH Control Center #
The SEH license dongle server is configured via a web page interface, named the “Control Center”. An image of this web page (as grabbed from the SEH website) is attached below:
In this example, the following items should be observed:
- The license dongle server’s IP address is 192.168.0.140. The Server name is IC0D1F0B.
- The UTN port number is 9200
- Each device will have a name declaration noted in the “Attached devices” window.
The OpenLM system should be configured according to the items above in order to monitor SEH licenses.
In order to set OpenLM to monitor the SEH license dongle server, both the OpenLM Server and Broker need to be employed.
OpenLM Broker configuration #
- The OpenLM Broker needs to be installed on a server or workstation on the organization’s network.
- This machine needs to have access to both the OpenLM Server and the SEH license dongle server’s “Control Center’s” web page and UTNM executable file.
- Note that the UTNM executable file doesn’t provide Host / User details when run on a machine that uses a license dongle. Therefore, the OpenLM Broker should not be installed on the same workstation that consumes dongle licenses.
The OpenLM Broker is a Java application, and can therefore run on Windows or UNIX / Linux license servers. Please refer to the OpenLM OpenLM Broker Download & Document for installation information.
1. Select the license manager node then click Add Port in case Auto-Detect couldn’t
detect the SEH.
2. Add a Port to the newly named License server:
- Click on the “seh-utn_server” node
- Click ‘Add Port’.
- Type in the port number provided by SEH-UTN in the port text box(e.g. 9200)
- In the “License Manager Type” drop box, select SEH-UTN.
- Click Apply and then OK.
3. Go to the Commands node. Enter or browse to the path where the utnm.exe file is located on the SEH license dongle host machine. Click Update then Apply.
4. Check that the ‘Status’ and “data_inquiry” commands are depicted as below.
5. Expand the Vendors ‘+’ sign and type vendor name in the Vendor text box.
6. Click Restart Broker.
7. You can also use Broker Browser UI for configuration.
Your OpenLM system is now configured to provide SEH licensing information.
Adding LM Configuration Manually in EasyAdmin #
1. EasyAdmin →Start → Administration → License Manager Servers
2. Select LM Servers tab. Add a License Manager.
3. From the Type drop-down menu, select OpenLM_Generic.
3. Type in a descriptive text in the Display Name field, e.g. “My SEH server”
4. Set the timezone to where the SEH server physically resides, e.g. Pacific time.
5. Fill in the Hostname and Port numbers, e.g. my_seh_server and 9200 respectively.
6. Is Triad Configuration toggle off – not supported for SEH- UTN.
7. Use Broker: checked.
8. Click Approve.
Verify the SEH-UTN configuration #
Verify the OpenLM configuration to monitor the SEH-UTN license server via the EasyAdmin User Interface.
- Open the EasyAdmin User Interface.
- Click the link for Pending Approval. Approve the SEH-UTN.
- Verify that the configured license manager appears on the list. A green circle node indicates an Up-to-Date connection to a license server.