Interfacing Moldex3D – KB816
This document describes the steps required to interface OpenLM with the Moldex3D License Manager in order to monitor license usage and obtain license statistics.
To query the Moldex3D License Manager, the following components must be installed:
- OpenLM Server v4.7 or higher installed on a machine in your organization
- OpenLM Broker v4.8.8 or higher installed on the same machine as the Moldex3D License Manager
The current monitoring capabilities available for the Moldex3D License Manager through the OpenLM Broker are as follows:
|Feature||Resolution||License totals||License usage||Denials Reporting||Borrowed License Reporting||Expiration Date Reporting||Multiple Server Redundancy|
Additionally, using the Broker component allows for buffered communication and the ability to remotely start / stop the license manager service.
Diagram of how OpenLM interfaces with the Moldex3D License Manager
The mechanism for interfacing Moldex3D License Manager through OpenLM Broker works as follows. The license manager server is first queried locally. This is done by Broker through the Moldex3D License Manager command-line utility (MDX3DLMUtil). Once queried, this data is compiled by Broker and sent to OpenLM Server for processing.
Automatic OpenLM Broker configuration
To automatically configure OpenLM Broker with the Moldex3D License Manager, click Detect in the bottom right corner of the Broker configuration tool window:
If the Moldex3D License Manager service (e.g. “Moldex3D-LM Service”) is started, Broker will detect and configure all the required settings automatically. We recommend executing step 5 from the Manual configuration section below to make sure that the server is queried successfully without any errors.
Manual OpenLM Broker configuration
If auto-detect did not work, you can also add and configure the license manager manually. To do so:
- Click Add Port.
- Enter the Moldex3D License Manager LM port number (e.g. 2556).
- Select Moldex3D from the “License Manager Type” drop-down menu. Click Apply.
- Select the Commands node. Click […] to the left of “Update path for commands:” and browse to the folder where the MDX3DLMUtil.exe command-line utility is located (typically C:\Moldex3D\LMSR\Tools\MDX3DLMUtil). Click Update then Apply.
- Select the data_inquiry node under Commands then click Execute. Make sure that you see a valid output (i.e. no errors).
- Click Restart Broker.
- Follow the steps in section 4 (“Configuring OpenLM Server”), below.
Automatic OpenLM Server configuration through EasyAdmin
If you have followed the steps in the section above, OpenLM Broker should now be transmitting Moldex3D license usage data to OpenLM Server. The final step is to approve the configuration in EasyAdmin:
- Open the EasyAdmin interface either by accessing http://<OpenLM Server IP>:7019/EasyAdmin2/ in your browser or through Windows Start → OpenLM → OpenLM EasyAdmin User Interface
- In the License Servers window, hover over the red row that contains the details of the newly added Moldex3D License server entry and click Approve.
At this point, the Moldex3D License Manager has been automatically added to OpenLM Server and configuration is complete.
Manual OpenLM Server configuration
If automatic configuration has failed, you can manually configure OpenLM Server to connect to the OpenLM Broker installation located on the Moldex3D License Manager machine.
Adding a Moldex3D License Manager server
- Select the License Servers tab.
- Click Add.
- From the Type drop-down menu, select OpenLM Generic.
- Insert a description in the Description text box (e.g. “Moldex3D License Manager”)
- Set the Time Zone to where the Moldex3D LM physically resides.
- Enter the Hostname and Port number of the machine where the Moldex3D License Manager is installed. These must be exactly the same as configured for Broker in the previous section.
- Is Triad Configuration box: unchecked.
- Use Broker box: checked.
- Click Apply and close the OpenLM Server configuration tool.
OpenLM Server is now configured to monitor the incoming data from OpenLM Broker.
To check if the Moldex3D License Manager is being monitored correctly:
- Open the EasyAdmin web application (access http://<OpenLM Server hostname>/EasyAdmin2/index.html in your browser)
- Click EasyAdmin Start → Widgets → License Servers. Verify that the configured license manager(s) appears in the server list. A green circle node indicates an active connection to the license server.
Please note that sometimes it may take up to 5 minutes for the status indicator to change if this is a new connection.