This document describes the steps required to interface OpenLM with UniSim in order to monitor license usage and obtain license statistics.
To query the UniSim license manager the following components must be installed:
- OpenLM Server v5 or higher installed on a machine in your organization
- OpenLM Broker v4.14 or higher installed on the same machine as the UniSim License Manager
Monitoring capabilities and features #
The current monitoring capabilities available for UniSim through the OpenLM Broker are as follows:
|Feature||Resolution||License totals||License usage||Denials Reporting||Borrowed License Reporting||Expiration Date Reporting||Multiple Server Redundancy|
Additionally, using the Broker component allows for buffered communication and the ability to remotely start/stop the license manager service.
OpenLM Broker configuration #
Diagram of how OpenLM interfaces with the UniSim
OpenLM Broker queries the license manager locally. This is done through the UniSim tool (NetworkLicenceManager) and the UniSim log file. Once this data is collected, it is sent to OpenLM Server for processing.
Manual OpenLM Broker configuration
If auto-detect did not work, you can also add and configure the license manager manually. To do so:
- Click Add Port.
- Enter the UniSim LM port number (e.g. 6607).
- Select UniSim from the “License Manager Type” drop-down menu. Click Apply.
- Select Commands. In the “Update path for commands” field enter or browse to the root folder where UniSim is installed. Click Update then Apply.
- The Vendor Name and the path to the log file will be automatically added.
- Click Apply.
- Click Restart Broker.
- Follow the steps in section 4 (“OpenLM Server configuration”), below.
OpenLM Server configuration
Automatic OpenLM Server configuration through EasyAdmin
If you have followed the steps in the section above, OpenLM Broker should now be transmitting data to OpenLM Server. The final step is to approve the configuration in EasyAdmin:
- Open the EasyAdmin interface either by accessing it in your browser or through Windows Start → OpenLM → OpenLM EasyAdmin User Interface
- Go to Start→Administration→License Manager Servers.
- Double click on the License Manager you have added in the Broker and requires approval in the Server.
- In the newly opened window, type in a display name as per your convenience.
- Make sure the “Enabled” toggle is turned on.
- Select Type: OpenLM Generic.
- Verify the hostname and the port. Make changes if required.
- Select the Timezone.
- Click Approve.
At this point, the UniSim has been automatically added to OpenLM Server and the configuration is complete.
How to verify your UniSim configuration #
To check if the UniSim License Server is being monitored correctly:
- Open the EasyAdmin web application in your browser.
- Click EasyAdmin Start → Widgets → License Servers. Verify that the configured license manager(s) appears in the server list. A green circle node indicates an active connection to the license server.
Please note that sometimes it may take up to 3 minutes for the status indicator to change if this is a new connection.