This document describes the steps required to interface OpenLM with the Altair License Server (ALS) in order to monitor license usage and obtain license statistics.
1. Requirements #
To query the Altair License Server the following components must be installed:
- OpenLM Server v4.7 or higher installed on a machine in your organization
- OpenLM Broker v4.10 or higher installed on the same machine as the Altair License Server
2. Monitoring capabilities and features #
The current monitoring capabilities available for Altair License Server through the OpenLM Broker are as follows:
|Feature||Resolution||License totals||License usage||Denials Reporting||Borrowed License Reporting||Expiration Date Reporting||Multiple Server Redundancy|
Additionally, using the Broker component allows for buffered communication and the ability to remotely start / stop the license manager service.
3. OpenLM Broker configuration #
Diagram of how OpenLM interfaces with the Altair License Server
OpenLM’s integration with ALS is virtually identical to the integration with LMX. The only difference is in the command line utility (almutil) used to locally query the license manager for license usage data. Once the tool has been run and data has been collected, it is sent to OpenLM Server for processing.
Automatic OpenLM Broker configuration
OpenLM Broker supports automatic configuration of the Altair License Server.
1. Click Detect in the bottom right corner of the Broker configuration tool window:
If the Altair License Server process or service is started, Broker will automatically create a port node with all required settings.
2. Click Apply to commit the changes.
3. Click Restart Broker to send the changes to OpenLM Server.
It is recommended to manually check that the automatic configuration is working by going to Commands → data_inquiry and clicking Execute.
Manual OpenLM Broker configuration
If auto-detect did not work, you can also add and configure the license manager manually. To do so:
- Click Add Port.
- Enter the Altair License Server port number (default: 6200).
- Select Altair from the “License Manager Type” drop-down menu. Click Apply.
- Select Commands. In the “Update path for commands” field enter or browse to the folder where almutil.exe is installed (e.g.: C:Program FilesAltairlicensing13.3bin). Click Update then Apply.
- Select “Vendor Name to Be Filled” under Vendors. Enter any descriptive text (e.g. Altair) in the “Vendor Name”. field then click Apply.
- Click Apply.
- Click Restart Broker.
- Follow the steps in section 4 (“OpenLM Server configuration”), below.
4. OpenLM Server configuration #
Automatic OpenLM Server configuration through EasyAdmin
If you have followed the steps in the section above, OpenLM Broker should now be transmitting data to OpenLM Server. The final step is to approve the configuration in EasyAdmin:
- Open the EasyAdmin interface either by accessing http://<OpenLM Server IP>:7019/EasyAdmin2/ in your browser or through Windows Start → OpenLM → OpenLM EasyAdmin User Interface
- In the License Servers window, hover over the red row that contains the details of the newly added Altair License Server LM server entry and click Approve.
At this point, the Altair License Server has been automatically added to OpenLM Server and configuration is complete.
Manual OpenLM Server configuration
If automatic configuration has failed, you can manually configure OpenLM Server to connect to the OpenLM Broker installation located on the Altair License Server machine. This is done manually via the OpenLM Server configuration tool (Windows Start → OpenLM → OpenLM Server).
The hostname and port settings must match those that have been configured for OpenLM Broker.
Adding an Altair License Server
- Select the License Servers tab.
- Click Add.
- From the Type drop-down menu, select LMX.
- Insert a description in the Description text box (e.g. “Altair License Server”)
- Set the Time Zone to where the license server physically resides.
- Enter the Hostname and Port number of the machine where the Altair License Server is installed. The Altair License Server default port is 6200.
- Is Triad Configuration box: unchecked.
- Use Broker box: checked.
- Click Apply and close the OpenLM Server configuration tool.
OpenLM Server is now configured to monitor the incoming data from OpenLM Broker.
5. How to verify Altair License Server monitoring #
To check if the Altair License Server is being monitored correctly:
- Open the EasyAdmin web application (access http://<OpenLM Server hostname>/EasyAdmin2/index.html in your browser)
- Click EasyAdmin Start → Widgets → License Servers. Verify that the configured license manager(s) appears in the server list. A green circle node indicates an active connection to the license server.
Please note that sometimes it may take up to 3 minutes for the status indicator to change if this is a new connection.