This document describes the steps required to monitor the TASKING System (TLM) with OpenLM in order to obtain license statistics.
To query the TASKING License Management System (TLM) the following components must be installed:
- OpenLM Server v2.x3 or higher installed on a machine in your organization
- OpenLM Broker v4.8.8 or higher installed on the same machine as the TASKING License Management System (TLM)
For TLM, OpenLM collects license totals and license usage data. Tracking of Denials License borrowing is fully supported.
Since the querying is done through OpenLM Broker, administrators get additional benefits such as:
- Buffered communication with OpenLM Server to overcome temporary network failures
- Remotely start/stop the license manager service
- By minute resolution for license usage reports
Diagram of how OpenLM interfaces with the TASKING License Manager
The OpenLM Broker component should be installed (guide) and configured (guide) on the same machine where the TASKING License Management System resides. Broker queries the license manager using the licdstat tool and then sends the data to the OpenLM Server it has been configured with.
Automatic OpenLM Broker configuration
To automatically configure OpenLM Broker with TLM, click Detect in the bottom right corner of the Broker configuration tool window:
If the TLM service (e.g. “TASKING License Service”) is started, the Broker will detect and configure all the required settings automatically.
Manual OpenLM Broker configuration
If auto-detect did not work, you can also add and configure the license manager manually. To do so:
- Click Add Port.
- Enter the TLM port number (default: 9090).
- Select TASKING from the “License Manager Type” drop-down menu. Click Apply.
- Select the Commands node. Click […] to the left of the “Update path for commands:” and browse to where licdstat.exe is located (typically “C:Program Files (x86)TASKINGtaskinglm”). Click Update then Apply.
- Click data_inquiry under Commands. Click Execute. Make sure that the output does not display an exit or error code.
- Click Restart Broker.
- Follow the steps in section 4 (“Configuring OpenLM Server”), below.
- You can also use Broker Browser UI for configuration:
Automatic OpenLM Server configuration through EasyAdmin User Interface
If you have followed the steps in the section above, OpenLM Broker should now be transmitting data to OpenLM Server. The final step is to approve the configuration in EasyAdmin User Interface:
- Open the EasyAdmin User Interface by accessing Windows Start → OpenLM → OpenLM EasyAdmin User Interface→Start→Widgets→License Manager – Servers.
- Navigate to the Servers pending approval icon and click on it.
- In the newly opened prompt, double click on the license manager with Pending Status, (i.e TASKING License Manager).
At this point, the TASKING license manager has been automatically added to OpenLM Server and the configuration is complete.
To check if the TASKING License Management System (TLM) is being monitored correctly:
- Open the EasyAdmin User Interface in your browser
- Click EasyAdmin User Interface Start → Widgets → License Servers. Verify that the configured license manager(s) appears in the server list. A green circle node indicates an active connection to the license server.
Please note that sometimes it may take up to 3 minutes for the status indicator to change if this is a newly added connection.