OpenLM incorporates the capability to monitor the usage of Green Hills licenses. There are two options to query this type of License Server:
- The quick method:
Remotely query the license server from the OpenLM Server. This method only provides license usage information.
- The robust method:
Query the license server locally by the OpenLM Broker and propagate the information back to the OpenLM Server. This option provides additional benefits, such as enhanced robustness to communication failure and bypassing of Networking and Security limitations. This method may provide additional benefits in the future, such as reading and parsing the Green Hills log files.
Monitoring the Green Hills license manager using OpenLM Server only #
Configure the OpenLM server to remotely monitor the Green Hills license manager:
- After installing the OpenLM Server, Open the EasyAdmin User Interface. click on OpenLM Start → Administration → License Manager server. This will launch a window.
- Click the ’Add LM’ button.
- Type in a display name for the license server.
- Select Type as Green Hills from the dropdown selection.
- Use Broker – Toggle off the button.
- “Enable Triad Configuration”: should be kept toggled off.
- Type in the license server parameters (Hostname or IP, Port number, and time zone). In the example below, these are (GH_license_server, 2009, and Pacific time) respectively. In order to find the Server name and port to be configured, you can open a command window on the Green Hills license server machine as an administrator, and run the following command:
"<full path>lic_find_licenses.exe" -w -l <host name> Click on ’Save’.
- Click on LM Tools. Select Green Hills for Select LM Type Dropdown. Provide Full path to the Green Hills executable file on the “Enter the path to the file”.
- Click Save.
The OpenLM Server is now set to monitor the Green Hills license manager. Check the License Server’s activity by clicking the ’Test’ button on the LM Servers screen. A text would follow. This text is a query of the License server. It indicates whether a connection to that server is established, and the License server is active.
Monitoring the Green Hills license manager using OpenLM Server + OpenLM Broker #
Configuring the OpenLM Server is usually enough for monitoring licensed applications. The OpenLM Broker is an optional component, which provides many benefits for monitoring different types of license managers.
In the case of the Green Hills license manager, the benefits of installing the OpenLM Broker have enhanced robustness to communication failure, through message buffering and bypassing of Networking and Security limitations.
OpenLM Broker installation
Download and install the latest OpenLM Broker version.
OpenLM Server configuration for Green Hills
The OpenLM Server configuration will be exactly the same as performed in the previous method, i.e. without the Broker, except that the “Use Broker” should be toggled ON.
OpenLM Broker configuration for Green Hills
Configure the OpenLM Broker to interface the Green Hills license server and the OpenLM Server.
- Access your OpenLM Broker instance.
- Click Add Port.
- Enter the port number as it was in the OpenLM EasyAdmin User Interface (e.g. GH_license_server and 2009 respectively).
- The OpenLM hostname and port (e.g. OpenLM_Server and the default 5015)
- The vendor name should be set correctly (e.g. “GHS”).
- Inspect the status and data_inquiry commands. Verify the correctness of their full path (see image below) and click the ‘Execute’ button to check their functionality.
Alternative: OpenLM Broker Web UI
- Open any convenient web browser. In the address bar type in the following address: http://localhost:5090/;
- Click on the License Managers tab then Add License Manager:
- A pop-up will open. From the drop-down list select the License Manager type and input the port (since Broker only reads the log file, enter any port number (e.g. 888). Click Add:
- In the newly opened screen, click on the Vendors tab. Click on Add Vendor. Input the name then click Confirm:
- Click on the Log Files tab:
- Click Add Log File, a pop-up window will appear.
- You can either input the path manually or browse it by clicking on the Magnifier Icon:
- Once found, click on the log file to select it then click Open.
- From the drop-down list, select the vendor – Green Hills.
- Click Continue:
- File explorer pop-up window
- Click Save.
How to verify your Green Hills License Manager configuration #
To check if the Green Hills License Manager server is being monitored correctly:
- Open the EasyAdmin web application in your browser.
- Click EasyAdmin Start → Widgets → License Servers. Approve the pending License Manager (Green Hills). Verify that the configured license manager(s) appears in the server list. A green circle node indicates an active connection to the license server.