This document describes the steps required to interface OpenLM with Lloyd’s Register Licence Manager, further LiMBR in order to monitor license usage and obtain license statistics.
Table of Contents:
1. Requirements #
To query the LiMBR license manager the following components must be installed:
- OpenLM Server v4.7 or higher installed on a machine in your organization
- OpenLM Broker v4.12.0 or higher installed on the same machine as the LiMBR
2. Monitoring capabilities and features #
The current monitoring capabilities available for LiMBR through the OpenLM Broker are as follows:
|Feature||Resolution||License totals||License usage||Denials Reporting||Borrowed License Reporting||Expiration Date Reporting||Multiple Server Redundancy|
|Support||start time: by second end time: by minute||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||❌|
Additionally, using the Broker component allows for buffered communication and the ability to remotely start/stop the license manager service.
3. OpenLM Broker configuration #
Diagram of how OpenLM interfaces with the <LiMBR>
The mechanism for interfacing LiMBR License Manager through OpenLM Broker works as follows: the license manager server is first queried locally. This is done by Broker through the LiMBR License Manager command-line utility. Once queried, this data is compiled by Broker and sent to OpenLM Server for processing.
Automatic OpenLM Broker configuration
OpenLM Broker supports automatic configuration of LiMBR.
1. Click Detect in the bottom right corner of the Broker configuration tool window:
If the LiMBR process or service is started, Broker will automatically create a port node with all required settings.
2. Click Apply to commit the changes.
3. Click Restart Broker to send the changes to OpenLM Server.
It is recommended to manually check that the automatic configuration is working by going to Commands → data_query and clicking Execute.
Manual OpenLM Broker configuration
If auto-detect did not work, you can also add and configure the license manager manually. To do so:
- Click Add Port.
- Enter the LiMBR LM port number (e.g. 11362).
- Select LiMBR from the “License Manager Type” drop-down menu. Click Apply.
- Select the Commands node. Click […] to the left of “Update path for commands:” and browse to the folder where the LiMBR is located. Click Update then Apply.
- Select the status node
- Select the data_inquiry node under Commands then click Execute. Make sure that you see a valid output (i.e. no errors).
- Click Restart Broker.
- Select “Vendor Name to Be Filled” under Vendors. Enter LiMBR in the “Vendor Name”. field then click Apply.
- Click Apply.
- Click Restart Broker.
- Follow the steps in section 4 (“OpenLM Server configuration”), below.
4. OpenLM Server configuration #
Automatic OpenLM Server configuration through EasyAdmin
If you have followed the steps in the section above, OpenLM Broker should now be transmitting data to OpenLM Server. The final step is to approve the configuration in EasyAdmin:
- Open the EasyAdmin interface either by accessing http://<OpenLM Server IP>:7019/EasyAdmin2/ in your browser or through Windows Start → OpenLM → OpenLM EasyAdmin User Interface. Another option is the latest version of Cloud.openlm.com
- In the License Servers window, hover over the red row that contains the details of the newly added LiMBR LM server entry and click Approve.
At this point, the LiMBR has been automatically added to OpenLM Server and the configuration is complete.
Manual OpenLM Server configuration
If the automatic configuration has failed, you can manually configure OpenLM Server to connect to the OpenLM Broker installation located on the LiMBR machine. This is done manually via the OpenLM Server configuration tool (Windows Start → OpenLM → OpenLM Server).
The hostname and port settings must match those that have been configured for OpenLM Broker.
Adding a LiMBR server
- Select the License Servers tab.
- Click Add.
- From the Type drop-down menu, select OpenLM Generic.
- Insert a description in the Description text box (e.g. “LiMBR”)
- Set the Time Zone to where the license server physically resides.
- Enter the Hostname and Port number of the machine where the LiMBR is installed. The LiMBR LM default port is 11362.
- Is Triad Configuration box: unchecked.
- Use Broker box: checked.
- Click Apply and close the OpenLM Server configuration tool.
OpenLM Server is now configured to monitor the incoming data from OpenLM Broker.
5. How to verify your LiMBR configuration #
To check if the LiMBR License Server is being monitored correctly:
- Open the EasyAdmin web application (access http://<OpenLM Server hostname>/EasyAdmin2/index.html or Cloud.openlm.com in your browser)
- Click EasyAdmin Start → Widgets → License Servers. Verify that the configured license manager(s) appears in the server list. A green circle node indicates an active connection to the license server.
Please note that sometimes it may take up to 3 minutes for the status indicator to change if this is a new connection.