Interfacing the LS-DYNA License Manager – KB4001t
LS-DYNA is a finite element simulation tool, produced by LSTC: Livermore Software Technology Corporation. LS-DYNA accommodates a serie of peripheral tools such as LS-OPT, LS_PREPOST, LS_TASC and THUMS. Together they comprise a wide variety of applicable physics simulation subjects, from fluid dynamics to car safety. LS-DYNA’s proprietary license manager controls the deployment of network licenses for the different LS-DYNA features. OpenLM provides a clear method of viewing the current utilization of LS-DYNA licenses, as well as accumulating license usage statistics and patterns, and manage idle licenses.
OpenLM is a license management and monitoring system for a wide variety of Network license types, such as Flexera FLEXnet Publisher (FLEXlm) and Sentinel RMS. This document discusses the configuration of the OpenLM system to monitor an LS-DYNA license manager.
There are two options to query the LS-DYNA License Server
- the first option is to remotely query the license server from the OpenLM Server.
- the second option is to install the OpenLM Broker on the same machine as the LS-DYNA license server, query the License Server locally, and propagate the information back to the OpenLM Server.
2. Option One: OpenLM Server direct method
2.1. Enabling the OpenLM server to interface the LS_DYNA license server
In order to configure OpenLM to work with LS_DYNA, follow these steps:
2. Open the OpenLM Server configuration tool.
3. Select the LM Tools tab, located on the left side.
4. Select the LS-DYNA tab.
5. Copy the lstc_qrun.exe and lstc_qkill.exe files to a folder located on the OpenLM Server machine.
6. Fill in these files’ respective location, as depicted in the image below.
7. Click ‘Apply’ and then “Restart now”.
2.2. Introducing a new LS-DYNA server
After configuring the OpenLM configuration tool to work with LS-DYNA as described above, introduce a new LS_DYNA server under the License Servers tab:
1. Select the License Servers tab, and click Add.
2. From the Type drop-down menu, select LS-DYNA.
3. Type in a descriptive text in the Description text box (e.g.: “my lsdyna license server”).
4. Set the Time Zone to where the License Server physically resides (e.g.: Pacific time).
5. Submit appropriate Hostname and Port numbers (e.g. lsdyna_license_server and 31010 respectively).
6. “Is Triad Configuration”: OpenLM supports multiple server redundancy configurations for several types of license servers (e.g. FlexLM, DSLS, IBM LUM). At the time of writing this article, OpenLM does not yet support multiple server redundancy for LS-DYNA. Keep this box unchecked.
7. Use Broker unchecked.
8. Click Apply.
Your OpenLM Server is now able to monitor your LS-DYNA licenses.
Open the EasyAdmin web application to access real time and historical usage reports.
3. Option Two: via the OpenLM Broker
The OpenLM Broker is an optional, though highly recommended component, that should be installed and configured on the LS_DYNA license server machine. The OpenLM Broker queries the LS_DYNA license server locally, and propagates the data to the OpenLM Server. It facilitates robust, buffered communication with the OpenLM Server to overcome temporary network failures, and security issues.
3.1. OpenLM Server configuration
Follow the same steps for configuring the OpenLM Server as listed above, with the following exception: Check the “Use Broker” box.
3.2. OpenLM Broker configuration
1. Download and install the latest OpenLM Broker version. Follow the installation and configuration instructions on the OpenLM Broker Application Note:
- OpenLM Broker installation Guide: Quick Reference or
- OpenLM Broker Installation Guide: Comprehensive
2. Select the license manager node then click Add Port.
3. Configure the OpenLM Broker to monitor the LS_DYNA license server (e.g. lsdyna_license_server) on the license manager’s port (e.g. 31010). These configurations must exactly match those of the OpenLM Server configuration tool (see above).
4. In the ‘status‘, ‘data_inquiry‘ command line text boxes, fill in the full path to the ‘lstc_qrun.exe’ file, click Apply.
5. Click Restart Broker.
4. Verify the LS-DYNA configuration
Verify the OpenLM configuration to monitor the LS-DYNA license server via the EasyAdmin web application.
- Open the EasyAdmin web application.
- Click EasyAdmin Start → Widgets→ License Servers. The License Servers window appears.
- Verify that the configured license manager appear on the list. A green circle node indicates an active connection to a license server.