This document describes the steps required to interface OpenLM with the COSCOM LicenseMonitor in order to monitor license usage and obtain license statistics.
1. Requirements #
To query the COSCOM LicenseMonitor the following components must be installed:
- OpenLM Server v4.7 or higher installed on a machine in your organization
- OpenLM Broker v4.10 or higher installed on the same machine as the COSCOM LicenseMonitor
2. Monitoring capabilities and features #
The current monitoring capabilities available for COSCOM LicenseMonitor through OpenLM Broker are as follows:
|Feature||Resolution||License totals||License usage||Denials Reporting||Borrowed License Reporting||Expiration Date Reporting||Multiple Server Redundancy|
Additionally, using the Broker component allows for buffered communication.
3. OpenLM Broker configuration #
Diagram of how OpenLM interfaces with the COSCOM LicenseMonitor
Broker reads the COSCOM LicenseMonitor log file. Once read, the data is compiled and sent to OpenLM Server for processing.
- Click Add Port.
- Since Broker only reads the log file, enter any port number (e.g. 888).
- Select COSCOM from the “License Manager Type” drop-down menu. Click Apply.
- Select “Vendor Name to Be Filled” under Vendors. Enter COSCOM in the “Vendor Name” field then click Apply.
- Select the Log Files node and click on Add Log File.
- Select the “log” node that has just been created. Click […] and browse to the path where the COSCOM LicenseMonitor *.log file is located (typically this is the CLS Data path you specified during COSCOM installation).
- Click Apply.
- Click Restart Broker.
- Follow the steps in section 4 below.
4. OpenLM Server configuration #
Automatic OpenLM Server configuration through EasyAdmin
If you have followed the steps in the section above, OpenLM Broker should now be transmitting data to OpenLM Server. The final step is to approve the configuration in EasyAdmin:
- Open the EasyAdmin interface either by accessing http://<OpenLM Server IP>:7019/EasyAdmin2/ in your browser or through Windows Start → OpenLM → OpenLM EasyAdmin User Interface
- In the License Servers window, hover over the red row that contains the details of the newly added COSCOM LicenseMonitor LM server entry and click Approve.
At this point, the COSCOM LicenseMonitor has been automatically added to OpenLM Server and configuration is complete.
Manual OpenLM Server configuration
If automatic configuration has failed, you can manually configure OpenLM Server to connect to the OpenLM Broker installation located on the COSCOM LicenseMonitor machine.
The hostname and port settings must match those that have been configured for OpenLM Broker.
- Select the License Servers tab.
- Click Add.
- From the Type drop-down menu, select OpenLM Generic.
- Insert a description in the Description text box (e.g. “COSCOM LicenseMonitor”)
- Set the Time Zone to where the License Server physically resides.
- Enter the Hostname and Port number of the machine where the COSCOM LicenseMonitor is installed.
- Is Triad Configuration box: unchecked.
- Use Broker box: checked.
- Click Apply and close the OpenLM Server configuration tool.
OpenLM Server is now configured to monitor the incoming data from OpenLM Broker.
5. How to verify your COSCOM LicenseMonitor configuration #
To check if the COSCOM LicenseMonitor server is being monitored correctly:
- Open the EasyAdmin web application (access http://<OpenLM Server hostname>/EasyAdmin2/index.html in your browser)
- Click EasyAdmin Start → Widgets → License Servers. Verify that the configured license manager(s) appears in the server list. A green circle node indicates an active connection to the license server.
Please note that sometimes it may take up to 3 minutes for the status indicator to change if this is a new connection.