This document describes the steps required to interface OpenLM with the Intergraph SmartPlant License Manager (SPLM) in order to monitor license usage and obtain license statistics.
To query the Intergraph SPLM license manager:
- OpenLM Server v4.3 or higher must be installed on a machine in your organization or an SLMC account.
- (Optional) OpenLM Broker v4.x or higher must be installed on the Intergraph SPLM machine in order to take advantage of additional monitoring capabilities and features.
Monitoring capabilities and features
OpenLM can monitor the following Intergraph SPLM license activity:
|Borrowed License Reporting
|Expiration Date Reporting
|Multiple Server Redundancy
Additionally, installing OpenLM Broker on the machine hosting the SPLM license manager allows for buffered communication to OpenLM Server in case of network interruptions.
Interfacing using OpenLM Server only
Diagram of how OpenLM interfaces with Intergraph SPLM using OpenLM Server only
The first option for interfacing Intergraph SPLM is to have OpenLM Server query the license manager server directly. This is done remotely with the Intergraph SPLM command-line tools.
Interfacing via OpenLM Server only
The OpenLM Server remotely queries the license manager output file, without OpenLM Broker involvement.
- Go to Windows Start → OpenLM → EasyAdmin User Interface. The EasyAdmin User Interface opens
- Navigate to Start → Administration → License Manager Servers. Click Add LM:
- Type in a free text in the Description field to help you recognize the license manager.
- Drop down the Type list and select SPLM.
- Make sure the Enabled toggle is On.
- Use Broker toggle remains Off for this configuration.
- Enter the LM server destinations and configurations:
Hostname: The LM server hostname.
Port: The LM server listener port.
Time zone: Indicate the LM server time zone.
Enable Triad configuration: toggle off
- Click Apply to save the configuration.
OpenLM Server should now be ready to query your Intergraph SPLM license manager remotely and present the relevant license information via the EasyAdmin User Interface.
Interfacing using OpenLM Server + OpenLM Broker
Diagram of how OpenLM interfaces with Intergraph SPLM using OpenLM Broker
The second option for interfacing Intergraph SPLM is to have OpenLM Broker query the license manager server locally. This is done through the Intergraph SPLM command-line utility (pdlice.exe). The advantage of this option is that OpenLM Broker can buffer license usage data. If at any point the connection to the OpenLM Server is lost, the data is cached and sent in full when connectivity resumes.
Please note that OpenLM Broker must already be installed and configured to report to the OpenLM Server before proceeding further.
OpenLM Broker configuration
To configure Intergraph SPLM with OpenLM Broker, access your OpenLM Broker instance. There are 3 ways:
a. Accessing the Broker directly on the LM machine, either by opening the Browser Web UI or the desktop application
b. By typing the LM FQDN:5090 on any machine on your network, generate a token and access the Broker Web UI.
For this configuration, we will demonstrate on the Broker Web UI.
- Access your Broker instance: FQDN:5090
- Click on the License Managers tab then Add License Manager. A pop-up Appears.
- Select SPLM from the “License Manager Type” drop-down menu.
- Enter the Intergraph SPLM server port number (e.g. 807).
- Click ADD:
- Select the Commands tab. Click on the “Executable path” and browse to the folder where the pdlice.exe command-line utilities reside (typically
- Switch to the Vendors tab. Click on Add Vendor. Input the name then click Continue:
- Click Save.
OpenLM Server configuration
Once the Broker has been configured, it should be sending data to the OpenLM Server. The final step in interfacing Intergraph SPLM with OpenLM is to approve the configuration in EasyAdmin.
- Open the EasyAdmin interface either by accessing Windows Start → OpenLM → OpenLM EasyAdmin User Interface
- In the License Servers window, double-click on the “There is x server pending approval” and select it by double-clicking on it.
- Click Approve.
The Intergraph SPLM configuration has now been automatically added to the OpenLM Server.
How to verify your Intergraph SPLM configuration
To check if the Intergraph SPLM License Server is monitored correctly:
- Open the EasyAdmin interface (Windows Start → OpenLM → OpenLM EasyAdmin User Interface or navigate to http://OpenLM Server host:5015/)
- Click EasyAdmin Start → Widgets → License Servers.
The License Servers window will open. Verify that the configured license manager(s) appears on the list. A green circle node indicates an active connection to the license server.
Please note that sometimes it may take up to 3 minutes for the status indicator to change for new connections.