ESPRIT is one of the many license managers supported by OpenLM. In this step-by-step guide, we will explore how to configure OpenLM to monitor the DPTC ESPRIT License Manager and track license usage & obtain license statistics.
Diagram of how OpenLM Broker interfaces with ESPRIT License Manager and the OpenLM Server
- OpenLM Broker v4.10 or later installed and configured on the ESPRIT license manager machine.
- OpenLM Server v4.6 or later installed and configured on a network computer.
Print out the license mapping details #
The Broker requires users to configure mapping details which are found in the ESPRIT license printout file:
- Launch the DP Technology Server Security Manager
- On the left panel, locate the license(s) under the LocalHost node (e.g. E1009703_872223), right click → Print.
- Select either “Microsoft Print to PDF” or “Generic / Text Only Printer” (recommended, see section 1.2 below) and choose a path to save the file.
- (optional) If you used “Microsoft Print to PDF”, open the created PDF file and copy all contents into a regular *.txt file and save it. The beginning of line formatting (spaces) can be ignored.
- Repeat this process for each license that is present.
A sample license printout file looks like this:
********** E1009703_872223 ********** Company Name: WAYNE ENTERPRISES, INC Address1: 123 BAT RD Address2: City: GOTHAM CITY State/Region: NY Country: US Postal Code: 102109 Customer Code: wayneent General Name: 2_Axis_Lathe(1) Product: ESPRIT 20xx Series Serial Number: E1009703 Activation Id: 872223 Status: eLicenseInUse Client Id: bwayne@TLC-2ZQABC2 License Details Lock Code: S5580101 Expiration Date: N/A SMC Expiration Date: Saturday, October 31, 2020 Borrowable: True Lease Expiration Date: N/A License Type: eLicenseTypeNormal Lock Device: eLockDpFloat OEM: DP Technology Miscellaneous File Path: C:\ProgramData\D.P.Technology\Security\Licenses\2_Axis_Lathe(1).dptlic Comments: Features 1-Base License 2-Editor 3-DNC 10-Surface Modeler 11-SolidTurn Traditional 21-Post Processor 22-DWG / DXF 23-IGES 24-STEP 25-VDA-FS 27-Solid Modeler 29-VBA 30-Machine Simulation 31-STL 36-Cutting Tool KB 38-Parasolid SE SW 3DM
Install the Generic / Text Only Printer on Windows #
Obtaining the ESPRIT license printout file is done by using the “Print” function. Having a “Generic / Text Only Printer” avoids an extra step and the need to use a PDF viewer to read the file as the output is saved to a text file directly. Here is how to install it:
- In the Windows Search bar, type “add printer”.
- Select the result that says “Add printer or scanner” under System settings.
- In the Settings / Printers & Scanners window, click “Add a printer or scanner”.
- Wait for 5 – 10 seconds until the “The printer that I want isn’t listed” link appears. Click on it.
- Select the “Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings” radio button and click Next.
- Click “Use an existing port:” and select “FILE: (Print to File)” from the drop-down menu.
- Select “Generic” as the Manufacturer and the “Generic / Text Only” driver. Click Next.
- “Use the driver that is currently installed (recommended)” and click Next.
- Give the printer a name or leave it as-is then click Next.
- Select “Do not share this printer” and click Next.
- Click Finish to close the wizard.
You should now have a virtual text-only printer installed. Whenever you select this printer as the device to print from, the action will open a “Save Print Output As” dialog window where you will have to specify a file. You can save it with a *.prn extension or select “All Files” from the Save as type menu and specify any other extension (e.g. *.txt).
OpenLM Broker configuration #
- Navigate to your OpenLM Broker instance→License Mangers tab (http://localhost:5090/#/license-managers).
- Click Add License Manager.
- Enter any port number and select the License Manager Type as ESPRIT from the drop-down menu.
- Click ADD.
- Now you are in the Settings tab. You need to add the license file path. There are two ways to do this:
a. Detect License File automatically
b. Set license file path manually. Click Continue, as in the example depicted below.
- Warning! Make sure the Watch License File toggle is left unchecked.
- Switch to the Commands tab and provide the Esprit executable path:
- Switch to the Vendors tab → Add Vendor. Declare the descriptive name of the Vendor. Click Continue.
- Switch to the Log File tab→ Add Log File.
- Configure the Log File Definition screen as follows:
Type – ESPRIT Server Usage
Log(Descriptive) – a name to help you identify the purpose of the log
Path – click on the […] button and navigate to the logs folder where your installation of ESPRIT is located. The required file is named DptSecLogServerUsage.txt
Vendor – select the Vendor that you have defined in the Vendors tab.
- Click Continue then click SAVE.
- Open the EasyAdmin interface either by accessing http://<Server IP>:5015 in your browser or through the Start Menu → OpenLM → OpenLM EasyAdmin User Interface shortcut)
- In the License Servers window, click “License Managers Pending Approval”. Click on the ESPRIT LM entry to approve.
Verify the ESPRIT License Manager configuration #
To see if the ESPRIT License Manager is being monitored correctly:
1. Open the EasyAdmin user interface either by going to the address of your EasyAdmin Server (i.e. http://localhost:5015) or by accessing the shortcut in the Windows Start Menu → OpenLM → OpenLM EasyAdmin User Interface
2. Click EasyAdmin Start → Widgets→ License Servers. The License Servers window appears. Verify that the configured license manager appears on the list. A green circle node indicates an active connection to a license server.
Known Limitations #
- License denials are not currently monitored
- The number of licenses cannot currently be read by the Broker so it is displayed as “Unlimited”