Interfacing the Licman license manager – KB4001w
OpenLM supports license monitoring of a wide, and ever growing variety of license managers.
This application note elaborates the steps required to configure OpenLM to interface the Licman license manager, to monitor license usage and obtain license statistics.
2. Interfacing the Licman license server
The Licman license server should be queried locally, by the OpenLM Broker. The query response will consequently be propagated to the OpenLM Server, for monitoring and reporting purposes. Hence, the OpenLM settings require installing the OpenLM Broker on the same machine as the Licman license server, and installing the OpenLM Server on any Windows based machine on the network.
It is recommended to consult the OpenLM system requirements page prior to installation.
2.1. OpenLM Server configuration
In order to enable the OpenLM Server to access the Licman license server, follow these steps:
2. Open the OpenLM Server configuration tool.
3. Select the “License Servers” tab, and click the ‘Add‘ button.
4. Select the Licman type from the “Type” dropdown list.
5. Type in a meaningful description in the “Description” text box (e.g.”My Licman License Server”).
6. Type in the appropriate “Hostname” (e.g. my_licman_server).
7. Type in a Port number (e.g. 11111). Note that Licman does not require a specific port, however the OpenLM Server configuration tool does.
8. Is Triad Configuration: OpenLM supports multiple server redundancy configurations for several types of license servers (e.g. FlexLM, DSLS, IBM LUM). At the time of writing this article, OpenLM does not yet support multiple server redundancy for Licman. Keep this box unchecked.
9. Select the Licman license server’s Time Zone (e.g. Pacific time)
10. Use Broker check box should be checked
11. Click “Apply”.
2.2. OpenLM Broker configuration
1. Download and install the latest OpenLM Broker version. Follow the installation and configuration instructions on the OpenLM Broker Application Note:
- OpenLM Broker installation Guide: Quick Reference – AN4004a or
- OpenLM Broker Installation Guide: Comprehensive – AN4004b
2. Click Add Port
3. Select Licman from the License Manager Type box and enter the license manager’s port (e.g. 11111). This configuration must match exactly that of the OpenLM Server configuration tool (see above).
4. Go to the Commands node. Enter or browse to the path where the licman20_appl.exe file is located on the the Licman license server machine. Click Update then Apply.
5. Check that the ‘Status’ and “data_inquiry” commands are depicted as below.
6. Click the Apply button, and then the Restart Broker button.
The OpenLM Broker is now ready to query your Licman license manager locally, and propagate the information to the OpenLM Server.
3. Verify the Licman configuration in EasyAdmin
Check to see if the Licman License Server is monitored properly by the OpenLM Server:
- Open the EasyAdmin web application.
- Click EasyAdmin Start → Widgets→ License Servers. The License Servers window appears.
- Verify that the configured Licman license manager appears on the list. A green circle node indicates an active connection to the Licman license server.