OpenLM has in its arsenal a varied list of supported license managers.
This application note elaborates on the steps required to configure OpenLM to monitor the Licman license manager and its usage and obtain license statistics.
Configuring OpenLM to Monitor Licman License Manager #
The Licman license server should be queried locally, by the OpenLM Broker. The query response will consequently be propagated to the OpenLM Server, for monitoring and reporting purposes. Hence, the OpenLM settings require installing the OpenLM Broker on the same machine as the Licman license server and installing the OpenLM Server on any Windows, Linux, or Docker machine on the network.
It is recommended to consult the OpenLM system requirements page prior to installation.
OpenLM Server configuration #
In order to enable the OpenLM Server to access the Licman license server, follow these steps:
- Download and install the OpenLM Server.
- Open the EasyAdmin User Interface. click on OpenLM Start → Administration → License Manager server. This will launch a window.
- Click the ’Add LM’ button.
- Type in a meaningful description in the “display name” text box (e.g.”My Licman License Server”).
- Select Type as Licman from the dropdown selection.
- Use Broker – Toggle ON the button.
- Enable Triad Configuration: OpenLM supports multiple server redundancy configurations for several types of license servers (e.g. FlexLM, DSLS, IBM LUM). At the time of writing this article, OpenLM does not yet support multiple server redundancy for Licman.
- “Is Triad Configuration”: should be kept toggled off.
- Type in the appropriate “Hostname” (e.g. my_licman_server).
- Type in a Port number (e.g. 11111). Note that Licman does not require a specific port.
- Select the Licman license server’s Time Zone (e.g. Pacific time)
- Click on “Save”.
OpenLM Broker configuration #
- Download and install the latest OpenLM Broker version.
- Click Add Port.
- Select Licman from the License Manager Type box and enter the license manager’s port (e.g. 11111). This configuration must match exactly that of the OpenLM Server configuration (see above).
- Go to the Commands node. Enter or browse to the path where the licman20_appl.exe file is located on the Licman license server machine. Click Update then Apply.
- Check that the ‘Status’ and “data_inquiry” commands are depicted below.
- Click the Apply button, and then the Restart Broker button.
Alternative: OpenLM Broker Web UI #
- Open any convenient web browser. In the address bar type in the following address: http://localhost:5090/;
- Click on the License Managers tab then Add License Manager:
- A pop-up will open. From the drop-down list select the License Manager type and input the port (since Broker only reads the log file, enter any port number. Click Add:
- In the newly opened screen, click on the Commands tab.
- Enter or browse to the path where the licman20_appl.exe file is located on the Licman license server machine.
- Navigate to the Vendors tab. Input the Licman vendor name.
- Click SAVE.
The OpenLM Broker is now ready to query your Licman license manager locally and propagate the information to the OpenLM Server.
Verify the Licman configuration in EasyAdmin #
Check to see if the Licman License Server is monitored properly by the OpenLM Server:
- Open the EasyAdmin web application.
- Click EasyAdmin Start → Widgets→ License Servers. The License Servers window appears.
- Verify that the configured Licman license manager appears on the list. A green circle node indicates an active connection to the Licman license server.