This document describes the steps required to interface OpenLM with the GEOVIA License Manager in order to monitor license usage and obtain license statistics.
Table of Contents:
To query the GEOVIA License Manager the following components must be installed:
- OpenLM Server v4.7 or higher installed on a machine in your organization
- OpenLM Broker v4.10 or higher installed on the same machine as the GEOVIA License Manager
The current monitoring capabilities available for GEOVIA License Manager through OpenLM Broker are as follows:
|Feature||Resolution||License totals||License usage||Denials Reporting||Borrowed License Reporting||Expiration Date Reporting||Multiple Server Redundancy|
* – license totals are reported according to the “max” concurrent license limit for all versions; individual version limits are not counted. Classes are not currently supported.
Additionally, using the Broker component allows for buffered communication and the ability to remotely start / stop the license manager service.
Diagram of how OpenLM interfaces with the GEOVIA License Manager
OpenLM Broker queries the license manager locally. This is done through the GEOVIA License Manager tool (NetworkLicenceManager) and the GEOVIA log file (ssilm.log). Once this data is collected, it is sent to OpenLM Server for processing.
Automatic OpenLM Broker configuration
OpenLM Broker supports automatic configuration of the GEOVIA License Manager.
1. Click Detect in the bottom right corner of the Broker configuration tool window:
If the GEOVIA License Manager process or service is started, Broker will automatically create a port node with all the required settings.
2. Click Apply to commit the changes.
3. Click Restart Broker to send changes to OpenLM Server.
It is recommended to manually check the automatic configuration by going to Commands → data_query and clicking Execute. There should be no errors in the output window.
Manual OpenLM Broker configuration
If auto-detect did not work, you can also add and configure the license manager manually. To do so:
- Click Add Port.
- Enter the GEOVIA License Manager port number (default: 1234).
- Select GEOVIA from the “License Manager Type” drop-down menu. Click Apply.
- Select Commands. In the “Update path for commands” field enter or browse to the GEOVIA\LicenceManager\##.#\Bin path where you have installed GEOVIA. This is where NetworkLicenceManager.exe is located. ##.# indicates the version number (e.g. 14.7). Click Update.
- Click Apply.
- Select “Vendor Name to Be Filled” under Vendors. Enter Dassault Systemes in the “Vendor Name” field. This can be changed to any descriptive text and will be seen in the EasyAdmin reports. Click Apply.
- Select the Log Files node and click on Add Log File.
- Select the “log” node that has just been created. Click […] and browse to the path where the ssilm.log file is located. (typically C:\Users\Public\GEOVIA\LicenceManager\share\etc\ssilm.log)
- Click Apply.
- Click Restart Broker.
- Follow the steps in section 4 (“OpenLM Server configuration”), below.
Automatic OpenLM Server configuration through EasyAdmin
If you have followed the steps in the section above, OpenLM Broker should now be transmitting data to OpenLM Server. The final step is to approve the configuration in EasyAdmin:
- Open the EasyAdmin interface either by accessing http://<OpenLM Server IP>:7019/EasyAdmin2/ in your browser or through Windows Start → OpenLM → OpenLM EasyAdmin User Interface
- In the License Servers window, hover over the red row that contains the details of the newly added GEOVIA License Manager server entry and click Approve.
At this point, the GEOVIA License Manager has been automatically added to OpenLM Server and configuration is complete.
Manual OpenLM Server configuration
If automatic configuration has failed, you can manually configure OpenLM Server to connect to the OpenLM Broker installation located on the GEOVIA License Manager machine. This is done manually via the OpenLM Server configuration tool (Windows Start → OpenLM → OpenLM Server).
The hostname and port settings must match those that have been configured for OpenLM Broker.
Adding a GEOVIA License Manager server
- Select the License Servers tab.
- Click Add.
- From the Type drop-down menu, select OpenLM Generic.
- Insert a description in the Description text box (e.g. “GEOVIA License Manager”)
- Set the Time Zone to where the license server physically resides.
- Enter the Hostname and Port number of the machine where the GEOVIA License Manager is installed. The GEOVIA License Manager default port is 1234.
- Is Triad Configuration box: unchecked.
- Use Broker box: checked.
- Click Apply and close the OpenLM Server configuration tool.
OpenLM Server is now configured to monitor the incoming data from OpenLM Broker.
To check if the GEOVIA License Manager is monitored correctly:
- Open the EasyAdmin web application (access http://<OpenLM Server hostname>/EasyAdmin2/index.html in your browser)
- Click EasyAdmin Start → Widgets → License Servers. Verify that the configured license manager(s) appears in the server list. A green circle node indicates an active connection to the license server.
Please note that sometimes it may take up to 3 minutes for the status indicator to change if this is a new connection.