OpenLM supports license monitoring of a wide and ever growing variety of license managers.
This application note elaborates the steps required to configure OpenLM to interface the Dassault Systemes License Server (DSLS), to monitor license usage and obtain license statistics.
There are two options to query the DSLS License Server:
- Directly query the license server from the OpenLM Server. This method only provides license usage information.
- Query the license server locally by the OpenLM Broker and propagate the information back to the OpenLM Server. This option may provide additional information, such as license denials and offline (borrowed) licenses.
Option One: OpenLM Direct Server method
OpenLM Server configuration:
In order to enable OpenLM to access the DSLS License Server, follow these steps:
1. Install the OpenLM Server, click the Windows Start button → OpenLM → “OpenLM Server”. The OpenLM Server configuration tool opens.
2. Select the ”LM Tools” tab, located on the left side.
3. Select the DSLS tab.
4. Either copy or install the DSLS Client folder to “C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenLM\OpenLM Server\LM”.
5. Type in the full path of the executable file, e.g.: “C:\Program Files\OpenLM\OpenLM Server\LM\DSLicSrv.exe” in the ”DSLS executable file” text box.
6. Click the ‘Apply’ button.
Introducing a new DSLS server:
After configuring the OpenLM Server configuration tool to work with DSLS as described above, introduce a new DSLS server under the License Servers tab:
1. Select the License Servers tab.
2. Click Add.
3. From the Type drop-down menu, select DSLS.
4. Type in a descriptive name in the Description text box (e.g. “My DSLS License Server”)
5. Set the Time Zone to where the License Server physically resides (e.g. Pacific TZ).
6. Type in an appropriate Hostname and Port number (e.g. L312MD and 4084 respectively).
7. Is Triad Configuration: OpenLM supports multiple server redundancy configurations for several types of license servers (e.g. FlexLM, DSLS, IBM LUM).
- Checked : The OpenLM server will monitor the activity of all DSLS servers of the multiple server redundancy configuration.
- Unchecked (Default): The OpenLM server will only monitor the activity of a single DSLS license server
8. Use Broker checkbox:
- Checked (Default): The OpenLM Server actively queries the license manager. Keep this configuration when not employing the OpenLM Broker.
- Unchecked: Usage information is obtained solely via the OpenLM Broker installation on the License manager machine.
9. Password (‘Set’): DSLS license servers may be password protected. In this case it is necessary to click “Set” and enter the required password.
10. “Show named users allocations as usage” checkbox:
- Checked: OpenLM will present named licenses as part of the total amount of consumed licenses.
- Unchecked (Default): OpenLM will not present name-allocated licenses as part of the total amount of consumed licenses.
11. “Allow server fallback for denied license” checkbox:
- Checked: If license is denied by one license server, the license can be granted by another server monitored by OpenLM.
- Unchecked (Default): Licenses denied by this license server cannot be granted by other servers.
11. Click Apply, and the consequent “Restart now” button.
That’s it !
The OpenLM Server is ready to query the DSLS license manager and present the information over the EasyAdmin web application.
Option Two: via the OpenLM Broker
The OpenLM Broker is an optional, though highly recommended component, that should be installed and configured on the DSLS license manager machine. The OpenLM Broker queries the license server locally, and propagates the data to the OpenLM Server. It facilitates robust, buffered communication with the OpenLM Server to overcome temporary network failures.
The OpenLM Broker also facilitates querying the DSLS License Server and presents:
- License usage reports
- Information regarding denied license requests
- License borrowing (‘offline’ licenses) information.
OpenLM Server configuration
Follow the same steps for configuring the OpenLM Server as listed above, but make sure that the Use Broker box is checked.
OpenLM Broker configuration
1. Download and install the latest OpenLM Broker version. Follow the installation and configuration instructions on the OpenLM Broker configuration guide.
2. Configure the OpenLM Broker to interface the DSLS license server (e.g. dsls_license_server) on the license manager’s port (e.g. 4084). By default, using the Broker’s “Detect” function should find and configure the DSLS license manager automatically. The configuration must match those of the OpenLM Server configuration tool (see above).
3. Type in the OpenLM hostname and port number (e.g. L312MD and the default 7016).
4. Security (Firewall) measures: Make sure that the said OpenLM Broker port (e.g. 7016) is not blocked for outgoing messages on the license server machine, and that the same port number (e.g. 7016) is open for incoming messages on the OpenLM Server machine.
5. Type in the correct DSLS vendor name (e.g. “Dassault Systemes v5”).
6. On the ‘Commands’ node, type the full path where DSLicSrv.exe resides on the DSLS license server machine. Click Update then Apply.
7. In case of a multiple-server redundancy configuration (“triad”), the OpenLM Broker will need to be installed on each of the DSLS license servers, through the same process as described above.
DSLS Log file information
In order to configure the DSLS log you need to:
1. Highlight the “Log files” node, and click the ‘Add’ button.
2. Select “log file”. The “log file definition” dialog opens.
3. Select the ‘Other’ type
4. Add a descriptive name (e.g. “The DSLS log file”)
5. Fill in the full path for the DSLS log file (e.g. “C:\…\my_dsls_log.log”).
6. DSLS logs may be configured to change names periodically. In order to continue acquiring DSLS logs’ information throughout such changes, check the “Watch files by pattern” to intelligently seek for the subsequent log files.
Verify the DSLS configuration on the EasyAdmin web application
To check if the DSLS License Server is configured properly:
- Open the EasyAdmin web application.
- Click EasyAdmin Start → Widgets→ License Servers. The License Servers window appears. Verify that the configured license managers appear on the list. A green circle node indicates an active connection to a license server.
DSLS denials reports
DSLS denials will be presented in the EasyAdmin web application → Reports → Denials.
1. DSLS denials are subject to “True denials” filtering. That means that denials’ reporting will be delayed for a while, to assert that the user has not been granted a license in the meanwhile.
Your OpenLM system is now configured to provide DSLS licensing information. If you require further assistance on this subject, please contact email@example.com, and our team will be glad to assist.