OpenLM Port numbers for v4 – KB4017
OpenLM is a licensing management software. It provides productivity tools for system administrators, managers and end users, for optimizing software usage. OpenLM’s basic software package includes the core OpenLM Server module and its user interface; the OpenLM EasyAdmin module.
For a general overview of the OpenLM system structure, please refer to this document.
In addition to these core components, the OpenLM software package includes modules and capabilities which provide additional functions. In order to interface these components and obtain full functionality of the OpenLM software, it is essential to open certain port numbers.
The OpenLM Server is the core element of the system. It integrates the functionality of all other OpenLM peripheral system components, such as the OpenLM EasyAdmin interface, the OpenLM Agent, and OpenLM Broker. It is responsible for collecting information from various system components and storing it in an embedded relational DB.
The main interface for setting the port numbers on the OpenLM server’s side is the OpenLM Server configuration tool, on the ”Port Settings” tab:
The OpenLM Broker is an optional software component that runs on the license server machine. It interfaces the OpenLM Server via a dedicated port. By default, the Broker port is set to 7016. For additional information on the OpenLM Broker component, please refer to this Application note: OpenLM Broker Quick Reference Guide
1. In the OpenLM Server configuration window, select the Port Settings tab. In the License managers reporting port text-box, type in the OpenLM server port number (default: 7016).
2. There are two methods for configuring the OpenLM Broker port: via the OpenLM Broker configuration tool and via the broker.xml configuration file
2a. Via the OpenLM Broker configuration tool
- Open the OpenLM Broker configuration
- Choose an OpenLM Server from the OpenLM servers list (‘localhost, in the example below) and click Edit
- Edit the Port textbox. Repeat this for all OpenLM Servers
2b. broker.xml configuration file
- Open the broker.xml file, located on: “C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenLM\OpenLM Broker”
- Search for the line <port>7016</port>.
- Edit the port number.
The OpenLM Agent is the OpenLM system’s end-user interface. It facilitates available license querying, among other functions. It connects to the OpenLM Server through a dedicated port. The OpenLM Agent default port number is: 7012. The OpenLM Agent port number should be configured the same on the OpenLM Agent configuration tool, and on the OpenLM Server configuration tool.
1. Right-click on the OpenLM Agent icon on the Windows taskbar (lower right corner of screen).
2. Click the OpenLM Agent configuration tool. The Agent Configuration window pops.
3. Type in the port number in the Port textbox (e.g.:7012).
4. In the OpenLM Server configuration tool, select the Port Settings tab, and type in the Agent port in the “Agent reporting port” text-box (e.g.: 7012).
This port enables the EasyAdmin web application to send requests to the OpenLM Server. This port number should be configured the same on the OpenLM Server configuration tool, and on the params.js file.
From the OpenLM Server configuration tool, select the Port Settings tab. Type in the HTTP Server port in the ”User Interface HTTP Server Port” textbox (e.g.: 7014).
Open the params.js file, typically located on: ”C\Program Files (x86)\OpenLM\OpenLM Server\WebApps\EasyAdmin2”. Search and replace the port number (default: 7014)
In a Similar manner to the HTTP Server port (described above), the EasyAdmin web application also sends SOAP requests to the OpenLM Server via a SOAP proxy. This proxy’s default port is 7020. This port should be configured the same on the OpenLM Server configuration tool, and on the params.js file.
OpenLM Server Configuration:
The API service port number (7020 in the example above) is the default port for the OpenLM SOAP proxy. You can change it in the OpenLM Server configuration tool –> Port Settings tab.
Open the params.js file, typically located on: ”C\Program Files (x86)\OpenLM\OpenLM Server\WebApps\EasyAdmin2”. Search and replace the port number (default: 7020)
Note that it is not recommended to access the OpenLM Database tables directly, as OpenLM is not obligated to keep the Database tables’ structure through upcoming version releases.
OpenLM installs the LightTPD web server with the installation of OpenLM Server. LightTPD is configured as a Windows Service and starts up with the machine. The use of web servers such as IIS , Apache or others is also supported.
1. Open the “lighttpd-inc.conf” file, located on: “C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenLM\OpenLM Server\WebServer\LightTPD\conf\lighttpd.conf
2. Search for the line “bind to port (default: 80) server.port = <port number>”.
3. Edit the port number (e.g: 7019).
4. Restart the LightTpd service.
5. Change the EasyAdmin URL line to reflect the changed port: http://<Server Name>:<Port Number>/EasyAdmin2/index.html
OpenLM Router port: default 7022
The OpenLM Router module is peripheral to the OpenLM system. It was conceived through feedback received from trusted OpenLM customers, and facilitates a new set of capabilities for license managers such as:
- Providing a single point of reference to all application clients when applying changes to the license server configuration
- Applying rules and restrictions on license usage according to specific users, IP ranges and time of day. These rules may be applied to any type of license server.
- Setting up a license server redundancy scheme.
In order to change the default connecting port between the OpenLM Server and the OpenLM Broker:
1. In the OpenLM Server configuration tool, select the Port Settings tab, and type in the new Router port in the “Router Service port” text-box (e.g.: 7022).
2. Click the ‘Apply’ and ensuing “Restart now” buttons.
3. In the OpenLM Router installation folder, double click the OpenLMRouterService.exe icon. The “OpenLM Router properties” window opens.
4. Select the Startup tab. In the ‘Arguments’ text box edit the -log URL line to reflect the desired changed port number, e.g.:
OpenLM Proactive application manager
The OpenLM Proactive application manager serves as a shell for vendors’ license managers. It provides intricate license management capabilities that are not provided by the vendors’ license manager. It is designed with the users’ best interest in mind, and with the intention of returning control back to the software users. The image below depicts a simplified block diagram of the OpenLM License Manager solution:
By default, the OpenLM proactive application manager connects with the OpenLM Broker and the OpenLM Agent over port 27080.
The OpenLM Broker and the OpenLM Agent should therefore be configured to match this number, in their respective configuration interfaces.
The image below depicts the OpenLM Broker configuration:
The image below depicts the OpenLM Agent configuration: